jctelling@juno.com

Which Michelin Is Best?

I plan to replace the original Goodyear tires on my 2005 Fleetwood Explorer with Michelins.

Two companies have given me quotes. One is for XZE2+; the other is for XZA2.

Both companies tell me that the tire they are proposing is the right thing to do!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

jt

You didn't say if you were dealing with Michelin company owned store or independent dealer selling Michelin tires. The dealers may each have a reason to push one type over the other.

I prefer to look at the corporate spec sheets as this is reviewed by Mich Engineers and represents the design intent of the tire.

Looking at the MI spec sheet

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck...o.do?tread=XZA2 ENERGY

I note the "Energy" tag for improved fuel economy and that Michelin suggests this tire for RV application

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck...o?tread=XZE2%2B

Michelin does not clearly ID this design for RV application and no mention of better than normal fuel economy

You didn't mention your size or Load Rating so you will need to look at the details.

Hi johntelling,

I have XZE2+ on the steer and XZA on the drive axle. I have 67K+ miles on the tires. Both tires are wearing outstandingly. Both tires are very smooth riding (lead weight balanced at installation). If it was me I'd take the lower out the door price.

You didn't say if you were dealing with Michelin company owned store or independent dealer selling Michelin tires. The dealers may each have a reason to push one type over the other

I prefer to look at the corporate spec sheets as this is reviewed by Mich Engineers and represents the design intent of the tire.

Looking at the MI spec sheet

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck...o.do?tread=XZA2 ENERGY

I note the "Energy" tag for improved fuel economy and that Michelin suggests this tire for RV application

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck...o?tread=XZE2%2B

Michelin does not clearly ID this design for RV application and no mention of better than normal fuel economy

You didn't mention your size or Load Rating so you will need to look at the details.

Thanks, Tireman. I am not sure if XZE2 and XZE2+ are the same thing. I can only find a couple of Michelin dealers in the Sacramento area. Not that I don't trust them, but it is a pretty sure bet that the people I am talking to have never owned or driven a diesel pusher, so I am not sure how valid their opinion is.

JT

Hi johntelling,

I have XZE2+ on the steer and XZA on the drive axle. I have 67K+ miles on the tires. Both tires are wearing outstandingly. Both tires are very smooth riding (lead weight balanced at installation). If it was me I'd take the lower out the door price.

Gary, thanks for your response - but I have a question. Why do you have ZXE2+ on the front and ZXA on the back?

JT

Hi johntelling,

Gary,

Thanks for your reply, but I have a question - why do you have XZE2+ on the front, and XZA on the back?

Thanks,

JT

The XZE2+ and XZA are clearly not the same thing. Tread pattern, Tread depth are just two of the obvious differences. As long as you have decided on Michelin and not one of the other brands, I would be inclined to go with the one Michelin suggests for RV usage

The XZE2+ and XZA are clearly not the same thing. Tread pattern, Tread depth are just two of the obvious differences. As long as you have decided on Michelin and not one of the other brands, I would be inclined to go with the one Michelin suggests for RV usage

I understand, but - my question was is there a difference between ZXE2 and XZE2+.

Hi johntelling,

Within 500 miles of purchasing the coach the steer tires were replace by Michelin. They were defective (XZA). I got the XZE2+ for the steer as I wanted to try an experiment to see how they performed. Per my previous post, they are performing outstandingly. This provides me some history so when I need to replace tires I have experience with more than one choice. Do not over complicate this decision. Availability is another unknown. Depending on tire size, Michelin has been known for go for months in a sold out situation. They seem to make tires by the batch.

I understand, but - my question was is there a difference between ZXE2 and XZE2+.

John if you look at the Michelin listing

you can then look at all the Micheline tires. If you click on the left ALL TIRES you will see the full list

X XZ XZU XZY3 XCA XPS XRV XS XTE2 (wb) XZA

XZA-1+ XZA1 XZA2 ENERGY XZA3 XZA3 ANTISPLASH XZA4

XZE XZE 2 XZE* XZE2+ XZL XZL (wb) XZU XZU wb

XZU2 XZU3 XZY XZY3 XZY3 (wb) XD XDA XDA ENERGY

XDN2 XRV XD2 XD4 XDA ENERGY XDA2+ ENERGY XDA3

XDA5 XDE M/S XDE M/S* XDE2+ XDL XDN2 XDN2 GRIP

XDS XDS2 XDS2 (11R) XDY-2 XDY-EX XDY3 XPS TRAC

X One XTA X One XTE X One XTE* XT-1 XTA XTA ENERGY

XTA2 ENERGY XTA2 ENERGY (wb) XTE XTE2 XTY2

NOTE I have nothing to do with Michelin design nomenclature so don't blame me it they are a bit confusing.

Looking at the XZE2

we see MI claims

Enhanced application-specific compound to help promote resistance to aggressions and longer tread life.

6% wider tread for improved wear and handling (when compared to Michelin® XZE® tire).

Matrixâ„¢ and micros sipes protect against irregular wear.â„¢

Zig-zag grooves and sipes help increase traction in new and worn tire conditions.

North American design.

Approved for use on EPA SmartWaySM certified equipment and meets California's CARB requirements

Sizes 11R22.5 11R22.5 275/80R22.5 11R24.5 11R24.5 275/80R24.5

Looking at the XZE2+

we see MI claims

Outstanding resistance to high scrub applications from large solid shoulder.

Exceptional traction throughout life of tire promoted from full-depth sipes in center ribs.

Lower downtime and protection from bruises and penetrations fostered by full-width protector ply over the working plies.

Improved resistance to curbing and sidewall scrub from raised curb guard feature

Sizes 265/70R19.5 285/70R19.5 275/70R22.5 295/80R22.5

Now I am a bit confused why you are looking at these two lines when according to Michelin specifications they do not share a common size.

But to be specific yes there is a major difference between these two lines. Size.

Hi johntelling,

Within 500 miles of purchasing the coach the steer tires were replace by Michelin. They were defective (XZA). I got the XZE2+ for the steer as I wanted to try an experiment to see how they performed. Per my previous post, they are performing outstandingly. This provides me some history so when I need to replace tires I have experience with more than one choice. Do not over complicate this decision. Availability is another unknown. Depending on tire size, Michelin has been known for go for months in a sold out situation. They seem to make tires by the batch.

Gary,

FYI To my knowledge with the exception of a few passenger size tires going to OE with volumes exceeding aprox 10,000 a month, all tires are batch made, no matter the company. I have heard of similar supply issues with some Bridgestone, Goodyear and some Firestone items so this situation is not unique to Michelin.

Hi johntelling,

Thanks, Gary!

John if you look at the Michelin listing

you can then look at all the Micheline tires. If you click on the left ALL TIRES you will see the full list

X XZ XZU XZY3 XCA XPS XRV XS XTE2 (wb) XZA

XZA-1+ XZA1 XZA2 ENERGY XZA3 XZA3 ANTISPLASH XZA4

XZE XZE 2 XZE* XZE2+ XZL XZL (wb) XZU XZU wb

XZU2 XZU3 XZY XZY3 XZY3 (wb) XD XDA XDA ENERGY

XDN2 XRV XD2 XD4 XDA ENERGY XDA2+ ENERGY XDA3

XDA5 XDE M/S XDE M/S* XDE2+ XDL XDN2 XDN2 GRIP

XDS XDS2 XDS2 (11R) XDY-2 XDY-EX XDY3 XPS TRAC

X One XTA X One XTE X One XTE* XT-1 XTA XTA ENERGY

XTA2 ENERGY XTA2 ENERGY (wb) XTE XTE2 XTY2

NOTE I have nothing to do with Michelin design nomenclature so don't blame me it they are a bit confusing.

Looking at the XZE2

we see MI claims

Enhanced application-specific compound to help promote resistance to aggressions and longer tread life.

6% wider tread for improved wear and handling (when compared to Michelin® XZE® tire).

Matrixâ„¢ and micros sipes protect against irregular wear.â„¢

Zig-zag grooves and sipes help increase traction in new and worn tire conditions.

North American design.

Approved for use on EPA SmartWaySM certified equipment and meets California's CARB requirements

Sizes 11R22.5 11R22.5 275/80R22.5 11R24.5 11R24.5 275/80R24.5

Looking at the XZE2+

we see MI claims

Outstanding resistance to high scrub applications from large solid shoulder.

Exceptional traction throughout life of tire promoted from full-depth sipes in center ribs.

Lower downtime and protection from bruises and penetrations fostered by full-width protector ply over the working plies.

Improved resistance to curbing and sidewall scrub from raised curb guard feature

Sizes 265/70R19.5 285/70R19.5 275/70R22.5 295/80R22.5

Now I am a bit confused why you are looking at these two lines when according to Michelin specifications they do not share a common size.

But to be specific yes there is a major difference between these two lines. Size.

Thanks, Tireman! Of course, now I am more confused than ever. They say that you don't know how little you know until you know a little!

JT

Thanks, Gary!

To throw another thing in the mix-- has anyone tried replacing the dual drive axle with the X-One XDA Energy? michelin claims a weight saving and better fuel milage.

John

No reason to be confused. What size are you currently running?

( Note to anyone reading this post. It ALWAYS is a good idea to include the current size and type and load range of the tires you currently are running when you start a thread on tire replacement)

To throw another thing in the mix-- has anyone tried replacing the dual drive axle with the X-One XDA Energy? michelin claims a weight saving and better fuel milage.

Haven't heard of any RV going that route. SIGNIFICANT up-front costs associated with buying the new wheels. Weight savings is only of real concern to truckers who are weight limited by most state laws.

Fuel economy is probably improved but you will need lots of miles to offset the up front costs. Do you drive 50 - 100k a year? If so it might work out otherwise I doubt it.

Note I worked designing "Wide Base" singles many years ago and there are savings to be had at the OE level where the cost of the special wheels and special tires is partially of-set by savings in the cost of 4 standatd wheels and 4 standard tires. but if doing a changeover you don't get thatat savings.

Tireman, I am ready to replace me 275/70 22.5's and have narrowed the choice to XZE2 or XZA2 Energy. Can't get Michelin to recommend one over the other for RV application, which I found interesting. I believe the XZE2's will come in about $40 less per tire than the Energys. That will be $240.00 total + tax, so it will take a bit of driving to recover any fuel savings the Energy's might offer. The both have the same load range rating, so no advantage there. My coach is a '99 Beaver which came "overloaded" straight from the factory. Not sure how they decided the GAWR, but hopefully it was based on tires available at that time, rather than actual axle capacity.

In any case, my leaning is towards the XZE2's as other BAC members have reported complete satisfaction so far.

On other question, regarding balancing. I've heard many discussions about front only, all tires, spin balance on the axle, Equal and now bags of "glass bead" silicone balancing. No one here seems to do lead weight balancing. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Jim