HarleyJones1

IE9 Display Problems

I don't know if this has been mentioned before. I searched and didn't find any complaints. This forum doesn't display correctly on my computers when using IE9. Safari and Chrome work just fine. I'm running Win 7 64 bit.

When I view the "Topics" list or the "Forums" list, the display is fine. When I view an individual post, especially a post with long text lines, instead of wrapping the text within the boundaries of the window, the text just goes on and on off the right side of the screen. The only way I can view a post is by using the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom, and sliding it to the right. The text overruns the window sometimes by as much as 200%. The only posts that display correctly are those with short lines followed by "carriage returns". (guess I'm showing my age here)

When I am posting, the wrap works correctly, even with long lines. As I resize the window the wrap point shifts to keep the text in view just as it should.

Another problem I've noticed is that when clicking on my user name at the top right of the main forum page, a sub-menu appears below it as it should, but when lowering the cursor to one of the choices, the menu disappears. The only way I can reach the control panel is by using a bookmarked link.

There are a few other anomalys, but not too severe. I have tried three computers running IE9 and they all work the same way. I don't think its a problem with the forum software, just an IE9 problem.

Anyone thinking of "upgrading" to IE9 from a previous version should understand that newer isn't necessarily better. Certainly not in this case.

Guest BillAdams

There are IE9 issues. I tried it and found similar issues on several forums. I had to uninstall IE9 to get a good user experience. I recommend that you do the same thing. :rolleyes:

Did you install the update for Adobe? It is built for IE9. I think the new version is 10.2. If that doen't work, you have registry problems. Get "Paretologic PC Health" and use it to clean your registry and all will be fine.

This forum doesn't display correctly on my computers when using IE9. Safari and Chrome work just fine. I'm running Win 7 64 bit.

There are a few other anomalys, but not too severe. I have tried three computers running IE9 and they all work the same way. I don't think its a problem with the forum software, just an IE9 problem.

Anyone thinking of "upgrading" to IE9 from a previous version should understand that newer isn't necessarily better. Certainly not in this case.

IE9 is still in development, and our forums software provider is not supporting it until it is released as final.

Currently, IE9 is a "Release Candidate," meaning that Internet Explorer has most of the features that will be included in the final release, but it's still being tested. According to Microsoft, if you are trying Release Candidate IE9, you might experience more errors than you would using an earlier version of Internet Explorer.

I would go back to IE8, until the final IE9 product is released.

IE9 is still in development, and our forums provider is not supporting it until it is released as final. Currently, IE9 is a "Release Candidate," meaning that Internet Explorer has most of the features that will be included in the final release, but it's still being tested. According to Microsoft, if you are trying Release Candidate IE9, you might experience more errors than you would using an earlier version of Internet Explorer. I would go back to IE8, until the final IE9 product is released.

IE9 has a small icon after the address bar for older designed web pages. I have been running the Beta IE9 and than The IE9 RC on this site without any problems. If you are not good with computers, I would also wait for the final release of IE9.

Thanks, guys.

I have the latest Adobe Flash and a reasonably clean registry. I think 18 months of testing IE9 is enough. I'm taking your advice and going back to IE8.

I still like keeping the alternative browsers around for times when IE isn't the best way to go.

I had the same problem (web page 'too wide' for screen) when using the beta version, but only on the Escapees web site. Since updating to the production version I've had no problems, except with the flash player on Google Earth.

Guest BillAdams

Here is the best advice I can give, Get a MAC and solve your problems for ever!!!! LOL :D

Thanks. That's helpful (to no one)! LOL ;)

After thirty plus years the war still rages between windows os and apple os users. I converted to a pro mac because I think UNIX is a better OS. However, not everything works well including this forum when accessing using Safari. So, I keep Google Chrome around for the rare times that Safari doesn't support the applets. When I wrote in C then I knew what to expect but the days of writing separate code for different browsers is long past.

IM,

Try using Firefox. I have been on a MAC for many years. In the very few times that FF will not access a site is typically because of the sites settings and when that happens I just switch to Safari.  If that doesn't work I don't need the site.