Sign in to follow this  
tbutler

Do you travel the same route back and forth?

Question

We have been full timers for 7+ years. With family in Valley Springs, California (south of Sacramento), Denver, Colorado and St. Louis, Missouri, we wear ruts in I-80 and I-70 visiting family. In the fall of '07 I finally said, "We're going to vary our route." From Valley Springs we usually take CA 88 to the Nevada border, then through Carson City and east on US 50 and Alternate 50 to link up with I-80. We stop in Winnemucca at the Wal-Mart and fuel up at Flying J there as well. The second day we drove to Wells and then took off to the north on US 93. In southern Idaho is Craters of the Moon National Monument. There are vast lava fields with many lava caves that can be explored. We climbed cinder cones, enjoyed exploring lava caves and hiked several trails within the park. We stayed at a very nice campground, Landing Zone RV in Arco, Idaho. There is a campground in the National Monument but I don't think they had full hookups.

From there we continued on east to Grand Teton National Park. We stayed at the campground at Coulter Bay Village in the park for one week. It was the end of the season and we had no trouble getting a spot. We were a short walk through the woods to Jackson Lake and enjoyed walking the shore at sunset, looking at the Tetons across the lake. We drove to the Gros Ventre slide one day. This is a rather famous collapse of a mountainside that occurred in 1925. The scar and the jumbled rock and debris are still evident today and you can walk through the debris field right up to the lake that still remains where the slide blocked the Gros Ventre River.

Another day we took a canoe out on Jackson Lake and enjoyed seeing Osprey and Bald Eagles as well as the spectacular view of the Tetons across the lake. We hiked up into the mountains to some of the small lakes formed on glacial moraines and had a nice view of Jackson. We took a horseback ride at a ranch outside the park one day. One day we went to the Grand Teton Lodge. It happened to be when there was a Federal Reserve Meeting at the lodge. We walked in on a media blitz complete with all the financial news people, print, radio and TV. I was outside looking for moose in the meadow below the lodge when I looked to the over to a gathering of people on a patio outside a meeting room and there was Ben Bernanke, Chairman of the Federal Reserve! You just never know what you will see when looking for a moose!

From Grand Teton National Park we drove southeast, crossing I-80 and continuing on south to Flaming Gorge Canyon and Dam. We traveled on into Vernal Utah and camped at Fossil Valley RV. We returned to Flaming Gorge for a full day of exploring the scenery and history of the area. We spent some time at the visitors center at the Dam on the Green River. There is a great drive that runs through some absolutely weird geology on the western side of the gorge. The whole area is dinosaur country and we spent a day at the Dinosaur Museum in Vernal. This is a very nice museum, if you are traveling with children, they will love it. We were planning to stop at the quarry in Dinosaur National Monument and were distressed to find that the building covering the quarry had been condemned and couldn't be replaced until Congress authorized the destruction of the old historic/unique architecture building since it was itself a monument. We were glad to hear that the current stimulus package passed by Congress included money for a replacement building at the quarry. In a year or two, this spectacular display of dinosaur bones partially excavated and exposed in the quarry wall will once again be accessible to the public.

We finished our trip to Denver by taking US 40 across western Colorado in what was a beautiful drive on a little traveled road. We stayed overnight in Granby, Colorado. In the morning we tackled Rabbit Ears Pass and then the steep descent into Denver on US 40 and I-70. The scenery along this stretch was spectacular. We had been cautioned to take an alternate route but we were glad we persisted and saw this part of the Rocky Mountains.

This was a two week adventure bypassing a stretch of I-80 that we usually do in two or three days. The adventure of traveling new roads and seeing new scenery made this a very refreshing side trip. We're planning to do the same along other stretches of this frequently traveled route in the future.

2 answers to this question

Hi Tom,

With the stick house in South Florida, my "commute" out of the state is always the same. There are only 2 choices, I75 and I95. Going west the only choice is I10. We been here almost 20 years. The side road leisure routes have already been explored. Once out of the state, I continue to be a creature of habit. In addition to being our house, the coach is to get me from one CG to another via the Interstate highway system. The toad's job is to explore, within a 100 mile radius of the CG. This means we do not travel many miles per day. If we do need to travel many miles, that's just another reason to keep on the Interstate.

I'm the RVer who likes exploring the local area, but not in the coach, in the toad. For me, driving the coach is a necessary evil to get to what I really want to do.

Hi Tom,

With the stick house in South Florida, my "commute" out of the state is always the same. There are only 2 choices, I75 and I95. Going west the only choice is I10. We been here almost 20 years. The side road leisure routes have already been explored. Once out of the state, I continue to be a creature of habit. In addition to being our house, the coach is to get me from one CG to another via the Interstate highway system. The toad's job is to explore, within a 100 mile radius of the CG. This means we do not travel many miles per day. If we do need to travel many miles, that's just another reason to keep on the Interstate.

I'm the RVer who likes exploring the local area, but not in the coach, in the toad. For me, driving the coach is a necessary evil to get to what I really want to do.

Gary,

Thanks for your comment. I think it is interesting the different ways that people plan their travels. That is one of the reasons I put up the topic about people completing their data so we can look them up and find out more about them, their interests and preferences. I thought it would help all of us in giving information to help others if we know how they like to plan things.

I don't disagree with you about using the interstates when needing to get somewhere but most of the areas I mentioned above are well away from the interstate highway system. I tend to try to find campgrounds near where we will be touring as we usually like to stay for several days and get a good look at some specific interest. In this case as always, I'll use the toad for those places that are way off the route but if as in this case, we can string together a group of interesting sites along a route of travel then we'll try to camp as close as possible to the site. In the case above, we were going to travel this distance anyway and this relieved the boredom of driving the same road one more time!

When we travel, I am less interested in the campground, we don't spend a lot of time there. I want to minimize my travel time to and from the feature we are interested in and maximize my time exploring new territory. I have a strong preference for seeing new country and don't mind (in fact I enjoy) a slower rate of travel especially if the roads are lightly traveled. We sometimes will string together a series of stops along a route of travel and make each stop in the motor home and then continue to our campground rather than stopping only at the campground and backtracking with the toad. Personal preferences, not necessarily the right answer for everyone.