texigan@gmail.com

Toyota Camry or Corolla With Manual Transmission For Toad?

Yes, both the Corolla and Camry with a manual transmission are towable 4 wheels down, at least through the 2011 model years. I have not seen guides for the 2012, but it is likely that they are as well.

I have been towing a 2009 Pontiac Vibe (a Toyoto Matrix with a Ponticac trim package) with a standard transmission for over 2 years. After moving the car to the towing position I turn off the ignition but DO NOT REVOVE THE KEY... This prevents the steering from locking. Hook her up, place in neutral, release the emergency break, check the lights and then off I go. The Vibe/Matrix now has 9,000 miles on the odom. and 32,000 miles on the wheels.

We have towed our '05 RAV4 AWD manual transmission 80k miles and driven it 45k miles. It runs great. The setup permits us to leave the key in the ignition in the OFF position to keep the steering wheel unlocked and no draw on the electrical system. We do have a charge line from the coach to support our US Gear supplemental brake system.

Buck, we purchased a new 2010 Toyota Corolla S with manual transmission as a second vehicle and for towing. We have been well pleased with the car both in tow and as a driver. We have the SMI brake system, so getting ready to tow is simple, as noted by JTFree above. With the SMI, it is then necessary to flip a switch (in our vehicle it is located just to the left of the clutch pedal on the cabin side of the wheel well/firewall). When searching for a manual transmission, I found that they were hard to find.

As an aside, from what I read, the redesigned 2012 Camry is not being produced with a manual transmission.

Sam