Sign in to follow this  
msgtnobody

Upgrading to Satellite

I bought a working KVH L3 system off a RV owner that upgraded to the KVH R6. It has all the original wiring and controls due to it being taking off professionally. I am a newbie rv owner. I currently own a 2001 Fourwinds WindSport that I would like to have it installed. I would like to know if anybody could recommend a reputable rv mechanic in the Hudson Valley, NY area to install it. The owner that I bought it off of had it removed and the new one installed in Eastern Mass.

Guest BillAdams

It's quite possible that the previous owner took the dish off and replaced it with a new one due to issues with the first one. The R6 still has very limited capabilities just as the L3 would have so I would be quite suspect as to why he would make such a change.

With that said, what service are you planning to use and what kind of receiver will you be using. I believe that the L3 used a very specific receiver which may no longer be available. I am not a KVH dealer so I may have these numbers mixed up.

It's quite possible that the previous owner took the dish off and replaced it with a new one due to issues with the first one. The R6 still has very limited capabilities just as the L3 would have so I would be quite suspect as to why he would make such a change.

With that said, what service are you planning to use and what kind of receiver will you be using. I believe that the L3 used a very specific receiver which may no longer be available. I am not a KVH dealer so I may have these numbers mixed up.

There was nothing wrong with the system when it was removed. They wanted to upgrade to a system that could get HD programing

Guest BillAdams

I assume then that you are a Dish Network customer as you can't get HD from DirecTV with a dome. Depending upon the age of the dome it may not be capable of receiving the 129 or 61.5 antenna required for HD so you should check with KVH to see if this is possible with that antennas current hardware/software. If the previous owner was a DirecTV customer be sure to have the installer reprogram it for Dish Network.

I assume then that you are a Dish Network customer as you can't get HD from DirecTV with a dome. Depending upon the age of the dome it may not be capable of receiving the 129 or 61.5 antenna required for HD so you should check with KVH to see if this is possible with that antennas current hardware/software. If the previous owner was a DirecTV customer be sure to have the installer reprogram it for Dish Network.

I bought it just for the use of Satellite TV instead of TV Antenna. Im not interseted in HD. I just want regular satellite reception.

Guest BillAdams

Sorry, I misread the post and thought you bought it to get HD and not the previous owner.