Sign in to follow this  
HueyPoe

Alaska/Yukon Highway

Question

We are interested in driving from Dawson City, Yukon through Chicken, Alaska, to Tetlin Junction, Alaska this summer. I know it's mostly gravel. Is the road in good enough shape to safely and comfortably (and slowly) drive in a big-rig diesel pusher? Also, is there any problem with the ferry that crosses the Yukon River from Dawson City? I understand it's a free ferry, as well. Please let me know if you have taken this drive and how it went for you. Thanks. Bud Poe

4 answers to this question

We drove the "Top of the World Highway" back in 2005 and experienced no problems. It is mostly dirt and can get very dusty if the weather has been dry ( as it was in our case ) or very wet and slippery if it has been raining. In fact, we were still removing dust from our coach years later - it is amazing how it seeped into all the cracks and crevices and managed to shake it's way out over the years:)

The ferry is small and depending on how many people are crossing you may have to wait a few trips but other than that you should have no problems ( we went across with our tow vehicle attached) And, yes, it is free of charge.

We are headed back to Alaska/Canada this year and have decided not to take the Top of the World Highway trip this time. We are traveling with friends who have never been North and have recommended that they leave their coaches in White Horse and take their cars up to Dawson City for a couple of nights stay in a B&B or hotel - there is a lot of history in that area that shouldn't be missed.

Did you drive the Top of the World Highway is one of the first questions people will ask you if they find out you traveled north to Alaska....we have advised our friends to do all or part of the drive in their cars so that they can honestly answer the question Yes!

One more thing...be sure and check on the conditions of the roadway. We had a group of friends who went to Alaska last year and they had planned on driving over from Dawson City to Tok. When they arrived they discovered that the road was closed due to excessive rain.

HueyPoe.... go for it... we traveled Tok to Dawson City in June of 2008... it was a dry day, dealt with the dust... Ferry was no problem at all, first come first served (except commercial vehicles have priority). There are tour buses and trucks traveling "Top of the World" everyday. We took our time (6 rigs), left early, took our time, and had a great time.

We had 30' trailers, 39' foot motorhomes in our group and everyone of us had a great time... would do it again in a heart beat. I had heard that if the road is wet it may be slippery, but rigs travel it everyday. You will regret it if your don't do it!

We took our rig through the Top of the World Hwy in 2006. A beautiful drive, dusty as others said. When you get to the US border, the road changes to gravel and is narrower. We met a tour bus on our way into Chicken. The tour bus was on the outside edge of the road and I thought I was going to have to take the ditch and rocks on the inside. We got by them but the lady driving was giving us no breaks! That was the only thing that was anything close to a problem. We were towing our full rig. Quite a hoot to get on the ferry, two rigs at a time to get across but they get it done.

At the US border the customs agent asked where we were going. My answer, Alaska! He said, "You are here, where are you going now!" It was such a long trip that, I'd been on my way to Alaska for so long my mind wasn't ready to accept that we were finally there. I still chuckle at my reply. DUH!

We drove the road last summer (2010). It is gravel the entire way. 30mph most of the way. Watch your step and no problem. I would recommend crossing the ferry EARLY morning-- 0700. We went over at 8:30 and didn't get across till after lunch.