Pxr177

Water Heaterless

We had a problem with the gas line. We had installed a valve assembly to allow us to add an exterior bottle to our RV (2008 Four Winds Chateau)

Then we closed off the on board gas and used the bottle. The onboard tank tank was left full.

Eventually we took the outside bottle off. We turned on the furnace and water heater. The furnace only blew cold air. We could hear the water heater clicking, but off course, no hot water.

I used the forums here to figure out that one had to open the valve sloooowly, to avoid the system locking up. That did not solve the problem, but it did point the way.

I figured out that the system had worked properly before the new valve was used,and had worked when the exterior bottle was installed. Maybe the check valve was responding to a real leakage spot, and if so, logically, it must be between the on board tank and the new valve. So, I unscrewed the valve where it met the interior tank, and re attached it carefully. Problem solved.. BUT....

The stove and the furnace work fine. The water heater does not. I suspect there were one or two many clicks when it tried to start with no propane, but I thought that the system would have been designed for this to happen, and work around it.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

Again run one of the other propane appliances located further from the propane tank than the water heater to insure good flow of propane.

I assume you have 12+ VDC to the water heater, but you may want to verify. When the water heater is turned on, you said you heard the igniter clicking. You also need to verify that the gas valve is opening (hear it click/smell propane).

Is the size of the flame at the stove normal-- if not, it could indicate propane vapor pressure that is not within specs.

Brett

Have you tried killing the 12 volt power to the Water Heater? When the board goes in to lock-up that is the only way to reset the control system for the water heater. If you have air in the line you could have to kill the power several times before the air works its way out. Good luck.