Sign in to follow this  
skyking8

"Cheap Fuel"

Cheap is a misnomer when it comes to today's fuel prices, but I passed thru Abilene, TX a few days ago and found diesel was $3.65/gallon at many other than truck stop locations. Truck stops were 30 cents/gallon more. Wished I had bigger tanks!!

"Cheap Fuel" was when we were teenagers and gas cost 25 cents per gallon. :rolleyes::D

Mike & Claudia,

I have purchased fuel from a sight glass pump before for $.16/gal. The sight glass pump was so you could see if the fuel was dirty. I spent 40+ years in sales and always told my customers that I would try to sell them at a lower cost rather then a cheap price. Cheap is a connotation of poor quality. Yes many stations sell diesel for less then the big truck stops. However many of the smaller stations don't sell that much diesel and their fuel can be of a lower quality due to water and sediment. So if you can find a lower cost fuel at a location that has lots of diesel customers, and can get you rig in and out with no problems, go for it. So always remember that a lower cost is always better then a cheaper price.

By the way, WELCOME TO THE FORUM. B)

Herman:

You must be really old! $.16 per gal!

I recall filling from a sight glass pump in 1970 or 71 (road trip during the Stanley Cup playoffs, the year Bobby Orr won it for the Bruins). It was a museum piece then, although still in use at a place called Blind Bay, Shuswap Lake, BC. Gas was in the $.35 to $.50 range by then ( I can't recall ever paying less than $.33, and I go back far enough).

Herman:

You must be really old! $.16 per gal!

I recall filling from a sight glass pump in 1970 or 71 (road trip during the Stanley Cup playoffs, the year Bobby Orr won it for the Bruins). It was a museum piece then, although still in use at a place called Blind Bay, Shuswap Lake, BC. Gas was in the $.35 to $.50 range by then ( I can't recall ever paying less than $.33, and I go back far enough).

K, I found gas coupon books that my mother got in my sisters and my names during WWII. Yes I do go way back. I even remember when Canada ruled the NHL, that to was a long time ago also. :D