Sign in to follow this  
Dwainndee

Using Peroxide in Water Tanks

I have had several friends talk about using Peroxide in the fresh water tank rather than the chlorine bleach proceedure we all know. I am wondering if anyone else uses this proceedure and if so what are the directions, as I have never seen anything written down, for its use.

I have been doing quite a little research on this personally since I posted this item and my wife found this information today on the "eHow.com" website. So far as I am concerned, following reading this and other items we have found, I am going to stick by the old chlorine bleach system.

How to Purify Water With Hydrogen Peroxide.

By Thomas King, eHow Contributor

Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical compound with many uses. These uses include bleaching hair, removing pollutants from the air and producing food. In addition, hydrogen peroxide can be used as a water disinfectant. Inhaling hydrogen peroxide can cause lung problems and the effect of chronic exposure to hydrogen peroxide is not yet known. Consequently, using hydrogen peroxide as a water disinfectant is generally considered a last resort in emergency situations.

Difficulty: Moderate

Instructions

1 Use a measuring cup to measure out 1/8 of a cup of hydrogen peroxide.

2 Pour 1 gallon of untreated water into a pot.

3 Mix 1/8 of a cup of hydrogen peroxide into 1 gallon of water in the pot and stir well.

4 Store the water in a clean, durable container and drink it within six months.

Read more: How to Purify Water With Hydrogen Peroxide | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6182395_purify-water-hydrogen-peroxide.html#ixzz1PlL5Zo9E

Guest BillAdams

1/8 of a cup per gallon? So I have to pour 5 gallons of HP into my 165 gallon fresh water tank to sanitize it?

No, I think I will stick with a bit of bleach.

Just from a scientific standpoint, there is one large bit of information missing from that write-up.

What concentration Hydrogen Peroxide are they using in those quantities. There is a huge range of products you can easily purchase ranging from the diluted stuff in the drug store, to stronger concentrations for hair bleaching to even stronger commercial concentrations.

To give a volume without % doesn't tell us much.

But, like Bill, I will stick with chlorine as my tank disinfectant when I need to sanitize my potable water tank. And I do that anytime the water in the tank is over 2 weeks old in the summer or 3 weeks old in the winter.

Brett

But, like Bill, I will stick with chlorine as my tank disinfectant when I need to sanitize my potable water tank. And I do that anytime the water in the tank is over 2 weeks old in the summer or 3 weeks old in the winter.

Brett

What horrible place are you getting water from? Fill routinely from any certified public water system in the country and there is no need to do all of this 'treatment'. Been fulltiming 5 years and just use public water systems and never have a problem.

Barb

Guest BillAdams

I have been full-timing since 1997 and I have never had to treat my water system either (since just after I bought it). However, that does not mean that if you feel uncomfortable or if you are not full-timing and have to leave water sit that you should ignore your fresh water system. We bought a used coach. We had no idea how the coach had been used previously. We sanitized the system! We have been happy ever since.