Sign in to follow this  
tbutler

Alternate route for I-70, Kansas

Question

In a previous article I outlined an alternate route for I-80 through Utah and Wyoming. One that isn't as fast but got us there just the same and we got to see new places. Here is another installment of that series.

We have been across Kansas on I-70 at least once a year for the entire time we have been full time in the motor home and for years before that in cars. This spring when we left Denver, we dropped south from I-70 at Lyman, Colorado, taking US 40/287 south to Kit Carson and staying on US 287 to Lamar, Colorado. From there we turned east on US 50/400 and stayed with US 400 when the two separated.

We stayed overnight at a nice rest stop on US 50/400 just before crossing into Colorado. The next day we drove to Dodge City, Kansas. We stayed at Gunsmoke RV, a nice park with large pull through campsites. In Dodge City we visited the Boot Hill Museum. They have a fine collection of pioneer and cowboy memorabilia. Both east and west of Dodge City we saw numerous cattle feed lots.

East of Dodge City we stopped in Greensburg, Kansas to take a look at the community recovering from an F5 tornado. Construction is still going full force two years after the tornado. Wichita was our next overnight stop. We spent several nights at USB RV Park. Wichita has many attractions, museums, an old downtown area with shops and restaurant/bars and a Cowboy Town with many old original buildings from the era of the cattle drives. We returned to I-70 in Kansas City via the Kansas Turnpike and I-35 which takes you through the scenic Flint Hills of eastern Kansas.

Most of this route is extremely rural. So rural that we didn't see a Wal-Mart until we got to Wichita. The wheat fields in eastern Colorado and western Kansas were beautiful and agricultural activity is everywhere. The roads are generally good roads with light traffic. In some places there are frequent passing zones to assist other traffic in passing you. These are things we enjoy and why we try to vary our route as we travel well worn routes.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet