tmoning

AAA Digest of Motor Laws - Free

The AAA Digest of Motor Laws is available for free online at www.drivinglaws.aaa.com. AAA longer will be printing a paper version of the Digest of Motor Laws.

The new online format facilitates greater access to AAA's repository of information about traffic laws, licensing requirements and motor vehicle regulations. You can view all of the content for each individual state, or select content on one issue for all states.

The current version of the electronic Digest contains complete information for the 50 states and D.C. AAA is working to prepare content for the Canadian provinces, territories and Puerto Rico, and is finalizing a filter and search feature that will allow you to further customize reports on state laws.

Later this year, the new Digest will be complemented by expanded and updated state law charts.

www.drivinglaws.aaa.com

It really does not cover the laws applicable to motorhomes or recreational vehicles. Nothing about supplemental brakes for toads or laws concerning towing of toads. Nothing about which states required fire extingushers and emergency warning triangles. But it is good for whether you can use a cell phone while driving or not.

I just looked at this and had a question regarding Driver License types. I live in Florida and have a regular driver's license, (which they call Class "E"). According to the AAA Digest, that allows me to drive a vehicle that is less than 8,000 lbs. My MH weighed in at 11,830. Yet everyone I talked to, (the people at the dealership I bought it from, my father-in-law who is a full-timer, and several others), have said all I need is a regular license to drive it.

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Well, I think I figured it out. Basically, the AAA Digest is wrong. I went to the FL Motor Vehicle Website and looked it up. A Class E license allows you to drive a vehicle that is less than 26,001 lbs.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/dlclass.html

There is a Class E Learner (Learner's Permit), and it is limited to 8,000 lbs. Here is the link to their Florida Info, scroll down to see the incorrect data.

http://drivinglaws.a...r-laws/florida/

Moral of the story, don't rely on everything within the AAA Digest as 100% accurate, it may not be.