Sign in to follow this  
Glennon2434

Rand McNally vs Others

Don't waste your money on the Rand McNally model. It is small and the only thing it does different is gives you speed warnings. My Garmin is four times the GPS. Hard to see, hard to use and does not give you the information they promised.

I'm hoping that's not the case...

We've been using the Tom Tom 740 live and a Garmin I believe 365 for years...

I ordered the RMCNally new 7" one to be delivered in October ..

I liked the large display, the screen brightness and contrast, the Low clearance feature, and didn't notice any strong negatives.. updates after 2-3 years is approx $80, then free for life...

I have the Rand-Mcnally unit. It sounded great when reading about it but in reality all it does is tell me when I am exceeding the speed limit. As far as the low clearance feature is concerned, that is smoke as well. I encountered a low bridge outside Douglas, WY on a state highway and the Rand-McNally didn't say a thing.

I also have and use CoPilot live for Trucks. I have it on my Ipad (which has built in air card) and since it is made for trucks, if it keeps them out of trouble it will and does the same for me. I mount the Ipad using a RAM mount and it is easier to see that way. CoPilot also has more options, the same as Rand-McNally but also routes that are the most pratical and if subscribed to the live traffic feature it will keep one constantly alerted to road conditions and if a serious hazard suggest an alternate route.

I have the RM unit on the dash above the rear view camera (which is always on) so a glance at one is a glance at both. I use both units since I like the speed limit feature on the RM unit and for a fast glance its ok. The Ipad is mounted on the RAM mount and is not in the line of sight as the large screen would be too distracting.

CoPilot Trucks was $149 and I already had the Ipad.

Both the RM7710 and Garmin 9165 have some glare issues. Both are the same sort of 7" screens with very shiny surfaces, not a matte finish. They will wash out in bright sunlight, just like most laptops and other screens with similar technology.

The RM does have some optional (extra cost) add-ons to reduce glare; a snap-on hood and a non-glare screen cover (their words). Haven't tried either one yet.