Sign in to follow this  
dukeman7595

Engine Brake Lever

Hello, again, everyone,

I have a lever that operates a cable that I think operates an EXHAUST BRAKE. The lever is located on the left of the driver's side (floor-mounted). The cable runs through the floor..

I noticed a BANKS POWER placard (factory) on the motorhome under the manufacturer's name (SOUTHWIND). A local mechanic stated that this lever operates a cut-off inside the exhaust. On the lever itself, it states normal and forward is max. which he says acts as a brake.

I have not tried to operate this lever as I am not quite sure of the mechanic's knowledge and the condition of this device. It does, however, move freely with the engine off.

My concern is that it is not a factory setup, I think, and if I do operate it while moving down the road I am a little afraid what might happen. Does anyone have any input? Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely, JOE

Joe,

You are going to have to give us more information on what engine you have. Gas? Diesel? Banks make kits for both.

If this is a gasoline coach, it is quite possible that the cable operates an exhaust cutout that would bypass the muffler for less back pressure and a LOT more noise.

My suggestion is to crawl under and see exactly what the cable is attached to.

Brett

Joe,

Here is a link to Banks Website for the 454-- note, the kit depends on the year model (with carb and single air pump, with carb and dual air pump and TBI). Of course, you could have an even newer model-- we don't know: http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/128/67

Do you see the cable operated device you described?

Have you looked under your motorhome to see what the cable is connected to. Would be great for you to post a photo of what it is connected to.

Brett