Sign in to follow this  
denpalmer

Electric 50 Amp Power Cord Reel

Before I take the reeler apart which concerns me has anyone tried to repair this problem

I repaired my reel, It was a broken gear that I was able to purchase from the manufacturer. Easy to do, make sure all power is off, take out the reel and drill out the rivits. Replace the gear and install the new pop rivits supplied in the kit and reinstall the reel. Took me all but 1 hour. I purchased 2 extra gears for the future.

For Shoreline cord reels, it seems they have perhaps changed hands and no longer provide replacement parts. I found a private party that was able to provide a custom-made gear and got the job done. I documented it at the URL below and hope others can benefit from my experience. Silly to toss the entire reel due to a tiny failed gear.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26336645.cfm

Hi to anyone interested in gears, I'm the one with the extra gears & rivets to fix shoreline reel RV5036. Manufacturer does not have parts anymore. I had some made because I had same problem (made extras, better than original) please feel free to e-mail me at jondel1234@yahoo.com.

BackhoeJ

Thank You, John