bcairport

Generator Replacement

'86 Onan gen field coils shot. No replacement available. Time to update to modern unit. Can a new modern inverter type unit be installed in current gen bay on a motorhome?

Are there Fed Regs. on this subject and if so where do I find them?

Any suggestions, other than "replace the OLD motorhome", will be appreciated.

I would merely "replace the OLD generator". Sorry, I couldn't resist it. The two major players are Onan and Generac. Now some people prefer one over the other. I installed, maintained, and used fixed installation and RV Generac units from 5KW to 80KW for 25 years. I've had two coaches with Onan gens that just weren't as stable and required more maintenance. I've found the Generac voltage regulators to have faster response and fewer failures. Others will swear by their Onan or whatever they have.

But once you get past the brand vs price selection, you need to find a same or similar KW size that will fit your current gen's location. Generally you will want to stay with the same fuel type for several reasons. Both assuming you want to keep the new install as simple as possible.

You can research all the above online, and even download installation and maintenance manuals. This way you won't have installation surprises on air flow, exhaust location and direction, mounting hole location, etc.

There may be Federal Regs on this issue but I've never run across that issue. There are California emission standards, but all you have to do is purchase a generator that meets those standards ONLY if your coach is registered in CA.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for all the good information.

Onan installation was Micky Mouse at best. (torch and weld project done who knows when by who knows who.)

Talked to some today about portable vs stationary.

Understand sationary units have special cooling appliances to keep temps down while inclosed in RV box.

May look at designing a drop down floor to the box that will allow me to cleanly store a portable unit and still be able to set it outside for parked use.

One even suggested mounting the port on the rear hitch. (Better have a good set of locks on that one!!!!)

Should be some good used units from discarded RVs out there if one just knew where to look.

Mine has good motor and armature but open stator coil. (Onan no longer carries this coil)

Have a list of RV bone yards but have discovered that many listed are no longer in business.

Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Thanks

bcairport,

Welcome to the Forum.

Several year ago I replaced my ONAN Generator (4KW). I got it from Colorado Standby. They were very helpful and had the best pricing at that time. You may contact they as follows:

Colorado Standby

4758 N. Chestnut St.

Colorado Springs, CO 80907

866-888-6111

Ask for Brad.

Have all your information with you Model Number and KW's. Also check your size of your unit. (is it a 4KW ONAN?)

Brad will tell you how much air space you need to have for your generator to work long and well.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Thanks Herman,

Went to Colorado Standby's site.

He DOES have good prices.

Beats Tweety by three to four hundred on same Onan unit.

If I go new, will likely go with him.

Bob Doughty