Sign in to follow this  
DougC

West Coast to East Coast trip in June

Question

Howdy Fellow Travelers,

As we begin our West to East then North to South then East to West trip this coming Saturday we are looking for suggestions to see, do, or eat... and for input from folks who have previously traveled the byways and highways of America.

Our trip route in general is East on I10, North on I17 Taos NM, East on I40 to Amarillo TX, East on I40 to Oklahoma OK, then North-East on I44 Branson MO, US-60/I24 to Nashville TN, I24/I40/I81/I77 to Hillsville VA, I77/I81/I66 to College Park MD.

Campground reservations are in Flagstaff AZ, Taos NM, Amarillo TX, Oklahoma OK, Branson MO, Nashville TN, Hillsville VA, ending in College Park MD.

Your suggestions are appreciated,

Doug, Trudy and Dale the Dog

2 answers to this question

Doug,

You plan trips differently than I do! I plan to go see stuff and then pick the campgrounds. But OK, in Flagstaff there is the Lowell Observatory where Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto. Not too far north of Flagstaff is the Grand Canyon. East on I-40 from Flagstaff is (about exit 233 I think) Meteor Crater formed by an impact of a small asteroid, quite impressive. Also in the same area east of Winslow, AZ is the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Both are worth a stop along the way. The Painted Desert is best at sunrise or sunset, beautiful colors. The fossil trees in the Petrified Forest are amazing.

Amarillo has the Quarter Horse Museum. You can also get a 64 oz. steak at a restaurant east of there (check the billboards). If you can eat the whole steak in an hour you get it free! Don't eat for a week and maybe you'll have a shot at it! South of Amarillo is Palo Duro Canyon with some interesting features. We've had a nice hike there to the Lighthouse Formation.

In Oklahoma City is the memorial to the victims of the Federal Building bombing, the first terrorist attack on the US. Also in Oklahoma City, a happier place to visit is the Cowboy Museum. East of Tulsa on I-44 at Claremore is the Will Rogers Memorial, if you are a fan of Will Rogers, this is a nice stop. Also in Claremore is the Jim Davis Gun Museum. A massive collection of guns of all kinds, from frontier days to WWII military. The collection includes much more than guns, well worth the stop.

Turning the corner in Springfield, MO as you head south to Branson, you might want to stop at the original Bass Pro Shop. They have a good restaurant in the store!

In Nashville, I wouldn't miss spending a day at the Grand Ol' Oprey Hotel. Shopping, dining and just walking through the awesome atria is worth the stop. There are numerous bars with CW music/dancing in Nashville, check the campground host for suggestions, bring your boots for scootin!

East of there through the Smoky Mountains, it is beautiful country. Great Smoky Mountain National Park is southeast of Knoxville. Knoxville itself is a pretty city. Before you get to GSMNP, you will go through Pigeon Forge. If you are a fan, stop in Dollywood! We had an interesting evening there!

If your route takes you through Asheville, NC, you must stop and see the Biltmore Estate, http://www.biltmore.com/visit/ . A truly amazing mansion built by one of the Vanderbilt descendants. More rooms than you can tour in a day! This is spectacular, we toured it at Christmastime in 2003 and they had a decorated Christmas tree in every room! Have lunch in the stable!

From there to College Park, you are in Revolutionary/Civil War territory, take your pick of battlefields and historic sites. Of course the whole Washington, DC thing is at your door step in College Park. My only advice is to find the Metro parking lot and ride the train where you want to go. Take water to drink in the summer or be ready to buy it, hot and steamy but well worth the time and sweat!

Now, if you want to visit antique shops...

It is hard for me to know exactly what your interests are, these suggestions are things we have seen and visited along your route and reflect our interests. Enjoy the trip!

Tom,

Thanks a lot for the information, it's just what we are looking for.

Our planning revolves around being in Washington DC by June 11, which is our daughter's birthday. The trip is about 2700 miles, the Boss wants to stay in the Taos NM area for two days and Nashville TN for two days. Soooo, with 9 days we could average 300 miles a day, but with the 2 day stop overs, it pushes up our average daily distance to about 400 miles a day... however, the trip back, down the East Coast and back to the West Coast, we have a bit more time...

Again thanks for the information.

Doug

Doug,

You plan trips differently than I do! I plan to go see stuff and then pick the campgrounds. But OK, in Flagstaff there is the Lowell Observatory where Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto. Not too far north of Flagstaff is the Grand Canyon. East on I-40 from Flagstaff is (about exit 233 I think) Meteor Crater formed by an impact of a small asteroid, quite impressive. Also in the same area east of Winslow, AZ is the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Both are worth a stop along the way. The Painted Desert is best at sunrise or sunset, beautiful colors. The fossil trees in the Petrified Forest are amazing.

Amarillo has the Quarter Horse Museum. You can also get a 64 oz. steak at a restaurant east of there (check the billboards). If you can eat the whole steak in an hour you get it free! Don't eat for a week and maybe you'll have a sho at it! South of Amarillo is Palo Duro Canyon with some interesting features. We've had a nice hike there to the Lighthouse Formation.

In Oklahoma City is the memorial to the victims of the Federal Building bombing, the first terrorist attack on the US. Also in Oklahoma City, a happier place to visit is the Cowboy Museum. East of Tulsa on I-44 at Claremore is the Will Rogers Memorial, if you are a fan of Will Rogers, this is a nice stop. Also in Claremore is the Jim Davis Gun Museum. A massive collection of guns of all kinds, from frontier days to WWII military. The collection includes much more than guns, well worth the stop.

Turning the corner in Springfield, MO as you head south to Branson, you might want to stop at the original Bass Pro Shop. They have a good restaurant in the store!

In Nashville, I wouldn't miss spending a day at the Grand Ol' Oprey Hotel. Shopping, dining and just walking through the awesome atria is worth the stop. There are numerous bars with CW music/dancing in Nashville, check the campground host for suggestions, bring your boots for scootin!

East of there through the Smoky Mountains, it is beautiful country. Great Smoky Mountain National Park is southeast of Knoxville. Knoxville itself is a pretty city. Before you get to GSMNP, you will go through Pigeon Forge. If you are a fan, stop in Dollywood! We had an interesting evening there!

If your route takes you through Asheville, NC, you must stop and see the Biltmore Estate, http://www.biltmore.com/visit/ . A truly amazing mansion built by one of the Vanderbilt descendants. More rooms than you can tour in a day! This is spectacular, we toured it at Christmastime in 2003 and they had a decorated Christmas tree in every room! Have lunch in the stable!

From there to College Park, you are in Revolutionary/Civil War territory, take your pick of battlefields and historic sites. Of course the whole Washington, DC thing is at your door step in College Park. My only advice is to find the Metro parking lot and ride the train where you want to go. Take water to drink in the summer or be ready to buy it, hot and steamy but well worth the time and sweat!

Now, if you want to visit antique shops...

It is hard for me to know exactly what your interests are, these suggestions are things we have seen and visited along your route and reflect our interests. Enjoy the trip!