Sign in to follow this  
sljohanson

Adding Transmission Fluid To 1996 Storm With Ford Chassis

The transmission stick shows I am low on transmission fluid. There must be some easier\better way to add transmission fluid rather than into the transmission stick tube (which is virtually impossible)?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Be sure you are checking with the transmission at proper working temperature per your Ford owners manual. Cold will show lower than when the fluid is warm.

And to add fluid, buy pre-made or make yourself a funnel and a couple of feet of clear plastic hose. After use, put it in a Ziplock and save for future ATF use.

The hose needs to be long enough to go from mid-windshield level (funnel end) to well into the dip stick tube.

BTW, the same concept (clearly different funnel and hose) works for brake master cylinder.

Brett

Thank you. It's hard to believe that some Ford genius couldn't come up with a better way to add transmission fluid to my Storm than to expect owners to add fluid into a tube placed virtually out of reach for such purpose. Before reading your helpful advice I added fluid (with a warm engine) directly into the tube with a funnel but then realized I couldn't get a valid reading as the stick "reader" had been pulled through the fluid residue in the tube. I assume you are suggesting the couple of feet of plastic tubing to reach the transmission "box" to eliminate this problem. Moreover, I've been told to check the fluid level with the engine running.

Novice.

Yes, check transmission fluid with the engine running. Also, look in your Ford chassis owners manual for correct transmission temperature range for testing.

Most specify only checking fluid level with fluid hot which means after 25 or so miles of highway driving.