Sign in to follow this  
tbutler

Interesting 4-wheeling locations

As we have traveled the US and Canada we have enjoyed getting way off the beaten path taking some 4WD roads to adventure. I'll share a few of those in hopes that others will contribute some of their own.

Our first encounter with 4WD roads was in Death Valley National Park our first year out. We didn't have a 4WD vehicle so we could only read and wish. There are some great 4WD roads there including one that is listed as for experienced 4WD drivers only, deep sand!

In Big Bend National Park we drove several 4WD roads including one that roughly parallels the Rio Grande River from one side of the park to the other. That drive took all day to go 50 miles. Part of the time was my taking about 400 pictures. The cactus was in full bloom and there was no end of beautiful scenery. The road was definitely a 4WD road with rough arroyo crossings.

In Alaska we found some rugged roads that could be traveled with 2WD but were easier in 4WD. Wrangell-St. Elias National Park in eastern Alaska has two roads into the park. Both roads are gravel and fairly easy to travel but the northern road crosses several streams. The loose gravel bottoms would have been dicey with 2WD. The southern road is more a tire hazard than a 4WD road. It goes about 60 miles into the park to Kennicott Glacier. The road is an old railroad grade and a few of the railroad spikes and other debris occasionally come to the surface.

We encountered the mother of all 4WD roads a few years ago in Canada. There is an area identified as Crown Land in northern Ontario. Chapleau Crown Game Preserve north of Sioux Ste. Marie and east of Wawa is logged land that is remote and now rich in wildlife. We saw numerous moose and bear. There is a loop road, the western portion is wide and easily traveled. The eastern part of the loop is narrow, rugged and challenging in a 4WD. We negotiated through a ditch for about 400 feet to get around a beaver dam built right on the road. Further down the road we had to go through a series of wash outs up to six feet wide and better than a foot deep. I would only advise taking this road in a 4WD vehicle. It was that remote loop where we saw most of the wildlife.

Finally I'll mention a road not taken. We spent three weeks in the summer of 2007 touring Utah with friends. Canyonlands National Park has four wheel drive roads along what is called the white rim of the canyon. Our friends had a 4WD also but the women didn't want to do the drive. Someday we'll return to see that territory.

Now, if you are a 4WD fan, share a few locations where you have found good roads for 4 wheeling.

Hello, I just found your old post. I too am always looking for new 4x4 roads off the beatin path. My wife and I took our ATV's over Jones Pass in Colorado which goes up to 11,000 feet and we actually ran into the road being blocked by snow in mid July. We went back in August and were able to go over the full pass. Desending on the other side you come across some old trappers cabins and mines from the 1800's and a beautifull stream on the bottom. The road is accessible by ATV or four wheel drive and has beautifull scenery.

One of our favorite places is Moab Ut. We love everything from the mild to the wild and figured out that if we stay 10days at a time each year it would take 7 years for us to do all the trails we want to do but that's not all the trails we can do there. Millville Canyon Trail outside of Brigham City Utah in the fall is absolutely beautiful.

Here in our home state of Washington we have lots of trails. Check out my web site NWJeepn.com and go to the "Trails" page for a list and descriptions with pictures. There is also maps and GPS data there for free if you want them.

Hope to see yall on the trail someday.

Thanks guys, I've added your resources and suggestions to my list of places to see. We are hoping to do some exploring in Colorado this summer. Washington and Oregon will have to wait for another year though we love what we have seen there in the past. We'll be back for more fun in the near future.

I re-read my post since it was several months old. I can't decide if asking for "good roads for 4 wheeling" is an oxymoron! Anyway, thanks for bringing this discussion alive.

Thanks guys, I've added your resources and suggestions to my list of places to see. We are hoping to do some exploring in Colorado this summer. Washington and Oregon will have to wait for another year though we love what we have seen there in the past. We'll be back for more fun in the near future.

I re-read my post since it was several months old. I can't decide if asking for "good roads for 4 wheeling" is an oxymoron! Anyway, thanks for bringing this discussion alive.

I jealous, we had planned on a 3 week trip to Ouray to do some Jeepn' and exploring ghost towns and 10 days of that spent in Moab Utah Jeepn' but alas my employer (U.S. Government) has screewed up our vacation bidding process and I won't be able to get the time off I want to do it. Sigh! Oh well maybe in 2011.

Hope you have a great trip.

We are not new to the RV life, but just recently "added" an older 4x4 to our barn. It's a 64 IH Scout 80 with 64,000 origanal miles on it. We look forward to exploring new areas and finding some good fishing spots with the Scout............and meeting some others with the same "outlook" on life.