Sign in to follow this  
gonesouth

Tire Questions Before Purchasing

I am in the midst of purchasing a set of tires for my 1998 Marquis and have only a few more questions. First of all I would like to say thank you to all of you who responded on my previous posts. You were very helpful and your help is truly appreciated.

To recap:

I have collected information, including actual axle weights, existing tire sizes, existing wheel rim size and dual spacing, etc.

I have reviewed this info with Michelin and Bridgestone Tech support, who assisted in tire model selection and the decision to go from 11R22.5 to 295/80R22.5's.

I have looked at local prices, FMCA's Michelin Advantage program, and Monaco international RV Club's Michelin National Account program. I expect to buy through MIRV's National Accounts program.

I have talked to a number of local tire dealers to determine their capabilities.

At this point I am considering three possible tire models:

Bridgestone R250F 295/80R22.5 Load Range H Local retail $655 Inflation 110 Front 105 rear

Michelin XZA2 Energy 295/80R22.5 Load Range H Local retail $808 FMCA Advantage $656 Inflation 110 Front 105 rear

Michelin XZE2+ 295/80R22.5 Load Range H Local retail $822 FMCA Advantage $638 Inflation 110 Front 105 rear

Now for the questions:

1. Balancing: Many dealers say they don't balance them period. The Bridgestone guy offers dynamic balancing off the vehicle, or Equal (powder) balancing. The Michelin guy offers front only on-coach dynamic balancing but nothing for the rear tires. What do you recommend?

2. Does the difference in running pressures matter? In all cases I would probably run the fronts at 115 psi, considering the wheels are maxed out at 120 psi.

3. Any other considerations? Which do I choose? (Michelin says the XZA@Energy's will save me about 1% in mileage, but I figure that is less than $100 a year, or less than $500 over the life of the set of tires.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

Jim,

Let's start with the facts first: To determine the correct PSI for your tires, go to your tire manufacturer's Inflation Table for your tire. Look up the PSI using the heavier wheel position on each axle if you have it, total axle weight if you don't. That will tell you the MINIMUM PSI for that weight. Most of us add 5 PSI to that minimum so a few degrees drop in ambient temperature, filling with fuel and/or water, the wife's BIG Walmart shopping trip, etc does not put us under inflated. And, if all you have is total axle weights, you might add another 5 PSI to account for left/right weight imbalance.

Opinion: I have my front tires checked for run-out ON THE COACH and brought to under .035". Then spin balanced ON THE COACH.

Rears balanced off the coach is fine-- not nearly as critical, nor can they be balanced on the coach.

Let us know where you are/are buying and perhaps we can suggest a place that can actually check run-out and balance on the coach.

Brett

Brett,

The inflation numbers below are for each tire are based on half of the axle weights plus 10% to allow for uneven left/right loading. Then, as you discussed, I was planning to add 5psi as a safety margin, particularly since my actual dual spacing is at the minimum required for those tires. Well, actually .020" under the minimum, so I would not want to run underinflated.

I will go with the on-coach dynamic balancing on the front, but does it matter if the rears are unbalanced? And if so, should I put in Equal?

Here is how the required inflation works out:

Bridgestone R250F 295/80R22.5 Front 110 psi rear 100 psi

XZE2+ 295/80R22.5 Front 110 psi Rear 90 psi

XZA2Energy 295/80R22.5 Front 110 psi Rear 100 psi

Thanks

Jim

Jim- I recently purchased 6 new tires (Goodyear G-14) for my 2006 Safari Simba,gas,33ft. All six were balanced using Equal, and it provides a very smooth ride. I had never used it before, but the Tire shop assured me it would work. The price was reasonable, $10.00 per tire.