Sign in to follow this  
vacationer1947

No Brake Lights On Tow Dolly

We have an 04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer.

When the brakes are applied, the tow dolly lights don't activate. All other lights work, including the flashers. I called Monaco and they couldn't come up with answer other than a converter box isn't totally working.

Couldn't give a specific location of this box other than inside the front bumper. I looked around and couldn't find one. When hooked up to our car, all lights function properly.

I Would appreciate any suggestions on the issue.

I hate to see no responses so even though I am not an electrician nor do I play one on TV here are some ideas. Do you use the same cable for the tow dolly and for the car? If not you may have a cable problem. I just opened the end of my 6 wire cable and found that the wire that feed the right side light for turn and brake was broken off at the connector. First I traced the lines for continuity with a continuity tester.

If it is not the cable then run the same continuity test from the pin or socket on the dolly connector back to the light. eventually you will find a broken/disconnected/shorted wire, most likely.

A simple $10 ammeter/voltmeter is a very useful tool. Set it on 12V, plug in the two leads. The negative goes on any ground (metal frame) on your coach, the second pin can be used to find the function of each pin on the plug to your tow dolly. If you can't find a pin that functions when the brakes on the coach are applied (have a friend pump the brakes while you test), that means that there is a broken connection somewhere. Start disassembling plugs and looking for broken connections.

Since the lights on the tow dolly work when hooked to the car, the problem has to be somewhere in the coach or the cable/plug from the coach to the dolly. Start with the connection from the coach to the cable to see if there is a functioning electrical output from the coach at that point. If not you need to dig further into the electronics of the coach. If there is a good signal there, then you need to examine the cable and plug. I've rebuilt several of these cables over the years. When they start to get worn, connections can become intermittent and it is sometimes best to just start from scratch and rewire the pigtail from the coach to the dolly.