richshamory

Toad Charge---- Disappointment

I come to this forum to find out how many others have had problems with the green connectors LSL supplied with their Toad Charge product.

I followed this product and all the hype advertisement thinking that this would answer my problem towing our new 2011 Ford Edge with the complete electronics package. The Toad Charge worked getting from Michigan to FMCA in Wisconsin and back home, our coach sat until October when we headed out for the winter to southern Texas; then our first stop at Effinghan a dead battery showed it's ugly face.

As it turned out, those green connectors LSL supplied didn't hold their connection, breaking the charge circuit from the coach to the Edge. Upon closer inspection the connectors were too loose to hold their position so I tried taping them together. Sad to say, those green connectors are not water resistant nor are they an automotive type of connector. To further make things worse the connectors on the controller which is mounted under the hood did the same, by breaking connection and the circuit to the Edge battery. 3 times in the first week heading south those green connectors failed and caused a complete drain of the Edge Battery.

I've contacted LSL a number of times and asked for their assistance; it seem that this problem was found and a revision has been made, because the new units I see being advertised have automotive grade connectors that secure the connections. LSL also changed the controller and are now molding the wires out of the controller and not using those green connectors to the terminals.

Being a retired executive from the RV Industry, I would respectfully expect a company that produced a defective product as such, would honorably stand behind the it and resolve the issue. That's not been the case so far.

Disappointed,

Rich

F298032

I agree that the Green connectors are inadequate. The plastic themselves have not yet failed but I have found that the gauge of wire supplied is too large for the input on the connector. This causes strands of the wire to "escape" and I have had trouble with them wondering and shorting. I have trimmed and reset them and then siliconed them in place. It seams to me that the connectors should be a trailer plug quality with pig tails or something as road grime and water are an issue. When I called LSL with another issue, I found them to be very responsive and helpful. As an aside, I mentioned the poor quality of the connectors and the rep I spoke to seemed quite surprised.

I don't know if this will help but my connection from the coach to the toad is wired in such a manner that there is no tension on the connectors. I ran the wire inside the blue trailer connector wire loom with sufficient excess inside to accommodate my toad at its most extreme extension and then zip tied the cable to the blue wire at each end. I then added some slack with 6"-8" leads on the toad and coach. When I am not hooked up, this lead tucks away in the grill or under the coach bumper.

I looked on the website after reading your post and do not see the new features you are describing. They would be welcome, to be sure. Over all I found the system to be a welcome addition to keep my battery up in my toad on long hauls.

You don't need a charge wire anyway, if you read the manual it has a section on how to put the car neutral when it is disable, my MKX has a door.

I pop off the cover and with one finger pull up the pin that keeps you from moving the gear selector out of park then put the car in N and never light up the dash.

That's all you have to do take less than a minute.

Could you be more specific on where this pin is located please. I have a 2010 MKX and the LSL system has failed me several times. The connectors are junk.

Open your cover were your USB port is located. With the car running put your finger down there, step on the brake and release a few times you will find the pin that pops up to release the shifter so you can take it out of park. After you locate it shut the engine down pull it up and shift the gear selector to N without powering up the dash.

Hope this helps I've had zero dead battery's by doing this.

Harvey

Our 2008 Nissan Sentra requires that the shift must be in neutral AND the steering wheel must be free when front wheel up towing. Therefore, the ignition must be on and a dead battery results if we do not disconnect the negative battery post.

Any ideas on this situation?

Bob,

Welcome to the Forum. The simplest solution for your problem would be to install a charge wire in your 7 pin connector. With your key in the accessory position does it record you mileage?

I have several other solutions but some folks don't agree with them.

Herman

Thanks for the quick reply, Herman. Even in Accessory mode, there is some activity such as the main info display which was enough to drain the new battery in the toad in 8 hours. Super easy to disconnect the negative post and tie it off. Will ask the dealer if there is an easy fuse to pull in the future.<br />Cheers,<br />Bob & Xiangbing<br />

Bob,

You might also check with Nissan. There are some vehicles where the steering remains unlocked if you turn the key to ON (not start), then back to off. As long as you do not remove the key, it may remain unlocked.

Again, not suggesting your Sentra is set up this way, but worth asking.

Thanks for the tip, Brett. Unfortunately that idea didn't quite fly. Steering post locks in OFF with key in the ignition and can't get to Off when in Neutral. Nothing fancy in this car's electronics so shouldn't have any problem with battery disconnected while towing. We returned that way on our one jaunt with the toad and all was well.
Cheers,
Bob & Xiangbing

Bob,

There are a couple of styles of battery disconnects-- both mechanical and electronic/relay.

And Herman's idea of running a charge line from the motorhome is another viable alternative.