Xplorer

Ding Dong Daddy of Dumas Texas

Once upon a long long time ago, comes home today!

I remember being the oldest of 6 kids traveling in the backseat of a Henry J or maybe it was the Studebaker, traveling I believe route 66 or we took a road off of route 66, and arriving in Dumas, Texas.

Dumas, TX had the biggest Hamburger I ever saw in my life.

They also had a sign "The Ding Dong Daddy of Dumas"

I never forgot that sign or the Hamburger. I never knew what a Ding Dong Daddy was UNTIL!

While in Charleston, SC, I met a gentleman educator from the Dumas area. He later sent me the story about the Ding Dong Daddy I never forgot.

Here is the Ledend of the Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas, Texas.

LEGEND OF THE DING DONG DADDY

What is a Ding Dong Daddy?

This is the question most visitors to Dumas, Texas ask after arriving in the county seat city of Moore County, lodged in the top of the Texas Panhandle.

Let’s go back to the beginning – First of all, the man who first developed the town was named Louis Dumas and the town was his namesake. This all took place in the late 1880’s as the Texas Panhandle was one of the final areas of the State of Texas to be developed from the raw prairie.

In the late 1920’s, a man who was to become a moderately successful bandleader and songwriter, Phil Baxter, chanced upon Dumas. He spent a few weeks in Dumas getting acquainted and after he had a stake continued his journey. Less than a year later Baxter penned the words and tune to a song, which he named “I’m a Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas.” The catchy song gained national recognition when Phil Harris, bandleader for the Jack Benny Radio Show, recorded the song and it became the number one pop song in 1948.

Right after World War II, Dumas residents began the operations of radio station KDDD. The three “D’s” came from “Ding Dong Daddy, “ and the song became the theme song for the station.

Early station manager (and later owner) Ken Duke commissioned an Amarillo commercial artist, Hut Hutson, to create an image of the Ding Dong Daddy. The caricature, complete with radio microphone, was copyrighted by the radio station and used as the station’s trademark.

The little “Ding Dong Daddy” became popular, and in the early 1950’s, KDDD loaned the logo to the Dumas Chamber of Commerce for use in promoting Dumas. Plastic pins of the “Daddy” and later his counterpart “Dolly” have been bought by the Chamber and distributed over most of the Free World as proud Dumas residents traveled and handed them out.

I just had to share a childhood memory never forgotten that came full circle over 50 years later. Thank you David Henderson for sending me back in time.

A delightful story. We often overnight in Dumas when we drive from S Texas to Angel Fire, NM.

What is the name of the hamburger joint there-- will have to put that on the list?

Brett

Brett,

I wish I could remember, that goes back to 50's.

Considering being a kid at the time, it took both hands to hold that Burger,,,,I remember it had cole slaw on top. It was not only big at the time, but unusual to me.

Never seen one like it since......I have never forgotten the Ding Dong Daddy's or the Hamburger.

My dad was in the Marines at the time transferring to CA,,,,,,I know we didn't have a lot of $$$, I'm sure it was a bargain burger.

I may have survived off that burger until we reached CA.

If you go, and find my Burger, please let us know.