w6pea

Metal Detecting

Hi. Are there any people that are into metal detecting and or prospecting?

My wife and I are members of the GPAA-- any more members around?

We are GPAA members, have been to some of their claims near Quartzsite, Az and did some sampling, found nothing. While the guys were digging I was walking around with my Garrett. Do really enjoy using it, however still have not really learned what it is always telling me, that country is full of junk metal.

Last summer we went to Happy Camp, Ca at the 49rs gold club. they have gold out there in the rivers, but Calif laws are the pits. They really don't want you to prospect much. Did find some gold, but spouse got ill and we had to come home, 2300 miles, it took us 10 days to get home as we only moved when he was feeling well. Would go back if possible, I see you live in Ca so you are familiar with all their regs, the Big foot RV park there is great across street from 49rs office. We were high banking, not using metal detectors in Happy Camp.

My wife metal detects from time to time. She picked up the hobby from a friend who's an avid detector. Wife's still learning, but has a good time with it.

So glad to find some one of the hobby here.I use a metal detector and search old abandoned home steads,crop fields,public parks and beaches in hopes of uncovering some long lost piece of the past. For me it's not about the value of the metal detecting finds. It's about the rush I get when I uncover something that has been lost for years and knowing that I am holding something that at one time was held by the people who helped form this great nation...whether it be a lost piece of military history or a personal item of a man or woman who remembers what it was like when you had to actually had to put effort into day to day living.