Sign in to follow this  
tireman9

RV Tire Quality

On my Blog RVTireSafety

I have two brand new posts that address the question of Tire Quality.

The first is "How good are Chinese tires??

and the second responds to some comments from individuals that took exception to my first post. It is titled "Why are bad tires on the road"

In the second post I issue a challenge to the RV community to actually make the effort to report accurate details and information to the US Dept of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on any tire failures they have experienced.

If you believe the posts about "China Bombs" you will be especially interested in both of these blog posts.

Note in the second post there is even a mention on 84 claimed "failures" of Michelin XRV tires (many of which are actually Run Low Flex failures,so this is not just about tires made in China).

If you have had a tire failure, not due to puncture, valve failure, run low, impact or overload, here is a link to the appropriate form to file an official complaint directly to NHTSA.

You will need ACCURATE tire information if you want NHTSA to consider starting an investigation.

Here is the list of the information you need to collect before you start to fill out the form:

Tire Brand such as Big Round Tire Company

Tire Line such as Mud Wumper 4

Size w/Load Range such as LT225/75R13 LR-D not 295-16 22 ply

Component. Identify the area that failed such as Tread, belt, Sidewall or Bead

Full DOT ALL 11 or 12 letters and numbers <Most important to be accurate and complete

Vehicle Year, make & Model

Vehicle VIN

The link is also is provided in the second post along with some examples of what not to include in your complaint.

All I ask is that if you file a report, please make the effort to provide complete and accurate information.

NHTSA bases the use of their limited resources on the severity of injury or damage and the quantity and quality of data included in the complaint form.

Do not expect there to be an investigation if you are the only person reporting a problem with a particular tire.

Remember they are focused on safety so just some inconvenience is not as important as a fatality or injury crash caused by a defective product.