Sign in to follow this  
pattexaco

Side Of Coach Has Lost Its Shine

We have an '06 Winny 33V Voyage. The white fiberglass on the sides, about a foot or so down from the roof, will not shine. As I get further down the white takes a shine and the basement doors (brown/tan) take a great shine. I am waiting for a response from Winnebago to ask questions (sent email today). I am just wondering if no clear coat or does it wear off?

I know, I know, not a lot of info, but maybe someone has an idea. Any and all thoughts/ideas will be appreciated.

Pat

Pat,

Is the side of your coach filon, gel coated fiberglass or painted?

Is there any difference in the areas affected vs areas that still shine-- is there a sharp line separating the two areas that look different, or is it just some general area on the upper sides? Both sides?

Mr Wolfe,

First, thanks for responding and I hope you are enjoying your travels. I just talked to a factory rep. and was told and I quote,"the sides are fiberglass filon gelcoat". The rep. says that the gecoat might have been "rubbed" off through the years and this could happen due to the previous owner possibly using a compound and buffer. The problem area along the upper driver side does seem like there is no gelcoat. There is no sharp line that separates this, it just seems to begin to blend in and then the remainder of the side is better.

The front and rear cap are bright and the roof is spotless and bright. I have explored the idea of getting it re-gelcoated. If you have any suggestions/ideas, I would be most grateful. Oh, almost forgot, do you know of or recommend a shop to do this sort of work?

Thanks,

Pat

Pat,

Filon has a VERY thin layer of gel coat compared with regular fiberglass layups. That is why you can see the random strands of glass in the surface. And, yes it can easily be destroyed by someone not familiar with Filon.

I don't think re-gelcoating is practical. Painting would be the only practical option if this is important to you.

Thank you Mr Wolfe,

Seems like the problem.... not as bad as I make it sound, but I guess I am particular. Now, I will have to decide what I want to do about it. Thanks again and safe travels.

Pat