Sign in to follow this  
sailfish44

Caterpillar 350 C7 Fuel Filter Removal

I have just completed all of the maintenance issues on my coach (2005 National 396lx) oil change, fuel separator, lube, generator filters and oil, and then tried to change the fuel filter on the motor. I cannot reach it well enough to remove it from the motor and need some advice on how to get it off. HELP!!!!!

Any oil filter wrench sized for the diameter of the fuel filter will work.

Be aware that you can relocate that filter (secondary fuel filter) to anywhere you like it. Many chassis makers put it in an easy to access bay so you don't have to stand on your head to change it. All it takes is to replace the fuel lines with ones long enough to reach your new location.

BTW, joining the Cat RV Club (an FMCA Chapter), with dues of $15/year gets you (along with other benefits) a 10% discount on Caterpillar parts for your RV at Caterpillar dealers: http://www.catrvclub.org/

Brett

Brett, Thanks for the quick response. What is involved with moving the filter? What do you do with the old bracket etc? Does the new location need to be at a specific height?

Thanks

Most of these are just a Caterpillar filter base bolted to the engine and easily relocatable. I know the Caterpillar secondary fuel filter on our coach was located to a compartment just behind the right rear wheel when the coach was built. I have seen the same on some of the Safari products.

With the Caterpillar manual primer pump (which will either be on your secondary fuel filter base or have a block-off plate to allow the easy installation of one-- highly recommended) elevation is not really an issue.

I have seen some relocations of this filter on Freightliner chassis to the area next to the primary fuel filter in the back. There is quite a bit of information on your fuel system on the Cat RV Club Technical Website: http://www.catrvclub.org/forum/index.php

Don't know that you can directly access this without signing in (free) or not, but here is the fuel section: http://www.catrvclub.org/forum/index.php/board,5.0.html

Brett

When you say that you cannot get to it at the engine, is it that you cannot see it or cannot get a wrench to work on it because of the tight quarters around it? If it is tight quarters, go to any auto parts supply store and buy a belt filter wrench. I don't mean the type where the belt is rubber and has a long handle. Get one that is a cloth belt loop that you insert a socket set extension into it. By using a ratchet the belt is rolled getting tighter and tighter. The filter is loosened. Remove the belt wrench and by hand the filter can be removed. To install a new one just reverse the process. A CAT Tech told me that this is the way he removes the filter, and it works.

Thanks for the tip. This filter is almost impossible to reach and then turn. Whoever put it on must have been a very strong person and I think it is the original part and never has been changed. I will buy the type of wrench you mention and make the change. Thanks again.....