Sign in to follow this  
winterhome

Hwy 199 East To Crescent City

Guest BillAdams

That's a very good road and you will have no issues with your coach on this road. We took the same trip in the opposite direction with a 40' coach plus very large toad.

Guest Wayne77590

I agree with the no issues, but I found it an "interesting" ride. My wife used a double adjective of "frighteningly scary." The road is narrow. The only problem with oncoming traffic, and 18 wheelers use it, is in some of the turns. Someone has to stop. There is one outcropping on the "downward" way, that when we were going up I laid on my air horn for a few seconds, just in case. It is a pretty steady climb, but not real steep. You can do a search on US-199 for some information.

Wiki Map of US-199.

Guest BillAdams

I guess my memory is bad. Neither my wife nor I recall any similar issues with that drive.

Bill, maybe Waynes Better Half is so frighten of his driving she can't close her eyes and you are so good your Better Half can sleep like a baby when you are behind the wheel. Or then again maybe not.

Guest BillAdams

I know that at least 1/2 of that is not correct. Janet is NEVER allowed to sleep! For whatever reason, driving for any length of time can just lull me to sleep. If the road was really bad with lots of twists and turns that might require me to stay much more alert than normal I might be OK, but if it's a long stretch of the mostly mind numbing stretches of interstate highways, look out, you do not want to doze off or we are all going over that cliff!

Guest Wayne77590

The wife may not sleep, but she may go hide when going "up" U.S. 199. (hee hee!)

An excerpt from the link below:

"Sections of U.S. 199 pass closely along the edge of cliffs and climb above the forest (slides are relatively common along this route), while other sections remain shrouded within the forests that dominate the Six Rivers National Forest. A very long and narrow national forest, Six Rivers National Forest is named due to fact it contains portions of six major rivers watersheds: Smith River, Klamath River, Trinity River, Mad River, Van Duzen River, and Eel River. It was formed in 1947 as part of a consolidation of sections of the Siskiyou, Klamath, and Trinity National Forests that were more coastal in nature and is managed in Eureka. Photo taken 05/26/06."

Picture

You can see photos Here

Now remember, I called it interesting, DW called it "frightingly scary."

As you can see by the picture, the right line, pavement, and guard rail can be pretty close to the MH. Then look at the other side, and some of the rock croppings can be fairly close. So, interesting. It was a scenic ride, and from Cresent City it meanders parallel with the Smith River.

Would I travel it again. You bet!