Sign in to follow this  
Podschweit

Refrigerator Condensation Problem

I have a 2008 Monaco Knight with a 12C Dometic 4 dr fridge.

On a recent trip to Florida I noticed considerable condensation inside of the fridge-- so much that water was dripping from the inside top of fridge which is the area under the freezer so we used paper towels to wipe out the water.

If anyone has or had this same issue I would like to know what can be done to eliminate the problem.

Thanks

Randy Podschweit

F413678

Randy,

First, lets all agree that these are NOT frost-free refrigerators. Said another way, some level of condensation will occur. Hopefully, most of it will condense on the fins at the back of the refrigerator where it can drain out the condensate drain.

Please verify that the condensate drain is not plugged, other than with the restrictor fit in the outer end by Dometic to limit air flow into the refrigerator through the condensate drain. Also verify that that restrictor has not been removed as it would allow a constant stream of outside air in. The freezer is different. Here, you have to defrost. May need to once a week in humid conditions if you open the freezer frequently or once a month if in the SW desert.

Things that lead to more condensation:

1. Humid climate. When air with a dew point higher than the temperature of the refrigerators gets inside, it WILL condense.

2. The more times the refrigerator is opened, the more humid air enters.

3. If the door is not properly adjusted/gasket not properly sealing, a lot more air will enter. Do the "dollar bill test" (Note: this IS an RV, so a $10 bill works better). Insure that as you close the door on the bill, that there is some pull needed to remove the bill and that the amount of pull is uniform around the whole gasket.

Brett