jenwoodjw

Great Smoky Mountains

Question

Hi! We have been motorhoming for several years now and are currently putting together a trip to the Smoky Mountains over spring break. We will be in that area for about eight days - can anyone recommend places to stay and things to do? We are two adults and two teen-agers, 16 and 15, and two dogs. The teen-agers are really good about hanging out with the adults, so that's not an issue. We like outdoor activities (hiking, rafting) as well as sightseeing and entertainment. Are there any "must-do"s? How many days should we spend in the park itself? And outside of the park, should we look at Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Gatlinberg or somewhere else? Thanks so much for any information or suggestions.

7 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams

The answer to your question is yes! I know that's no real help but there are great things to see and do at all of the locations you mention. What specifically would you like to do? Mountain hiking or touristy sort of things. Water parks for the kids, a nature/history drive around Cade Cove or a day at Dollywood? This is such a great and diverse area there is something for everyone and likely more than anyone could do in just a brief visit. More info would be necessary. Downtown Gatlinburg is a great tourist trap with something for everyone. The Magic Mushroom restaurant is a great lunch/dinner for everyone but out of town. The drive up to Clingman's Dome is long but well worth it (to me) and Cade's Cove has never failed us as a sightseeing tour. There are only maybe 2 or 3 thousand other things to do so let us know what you are thinking and maybe some of us can point you in the right direction.

You are going to have a blast no matter what (or a tame quite enjoyable time) so go, do, and then plan to go back again!

We came this close to visiting the Smokey Mountains this coming summer. We opted to try and do a seasonal instead. However, while researching where to stay if we did go to the Smokey Mountains, we hit on a new resort, Class A only. http://www.thedellrvresort.com/. Again, we never stayed here, but the on-line photos seem spectacular. Also, you have access to the luxury hotel up the street, which owns the Dell RV Resort. And when you navigate to the website link I gave you, scroll down toward the bottom of the website and you'll see a pull-down menu labeled "attractions." I'm certain this is not a comprehensive overview of what to do, but you could hit the ground running by viewing the content on this link to give you a flavor of what to do in the area. Also give you an idea how far or close you are to take in some of the local sights.

One small set-back about the resort: As I recall, there is no swimming pool on the grounds, but you can walk up to the hotel and use their pool. You'll have to verify this when you phone the Dell Resort to check for availbility. Might be a source of frustration for your teenage boys if they just want to chill by the pool.

Have fun!

Rob

Guest BillAdams

We did drop by the Dell RV Resort while in the area in April. There is not much here and nothing that I can see in the way of things to do. Maybe there was somewhere associated with it (up the hill?). While the pictures on the site are nice, most of the site look nothing like that and most are just a slab waiting for someone to buy and improve. When we were there it was nearly deserted and looked abandoned (It was not). We felt it was just likely another victim of the collapse of our economy. Hopefully, the people selling these lots will be able to survive but we could not find anyone to contact while we were there. The gatehouse was empty and the gates open. I would serious consider a more family friendly, occupied and developed campground. Just down the road from this place is the River Plantation RV Park which I would recommend as an alternative if you want to stay on the Sevierville end of town. http://www.riverplantationrv.com/

Ok, I think I can clarify a little bit. We will be traveling in a 40-foot motorhome and are trying to figure out how many nights to actually spend in the campground in the park, or if we should spend any nights there and instead stay outside of the park and do daytrips for hiking and sightseeing. I think Cades Cove or Smokemont are the two campgrounds in the park that could accommodate us - is either a better choice? We would like to try the ziplines in Sevierville and some of the shows/dinner shows in Pigeon Forge. We definitely want to go to Clingman's Dome. Also, several years ago we did a trip to Yellowstone and loved the combination of driving and hiking to see the sights, so Cades Cove sounds great. We might also be interested in horseback riding, and the kids would like a waterpark if it's warm enough. I'm figuring we have eight days in the Smoky Mountain area. Thanks for your help!

Hey BIll:

Thanks for the feedback on The Dell RV Resort. Geez, the website photos looked very appealing. And yea, from what we could garner from the website, it did look like there were many sites available for sale, which would account for the concrete slab offerings and nothing else. Not sure if a lot has changed since your visit just over a year ago. About the "up the hill," The Dell Resort is part of the "Hidden Mountain Resort." When we phoned someone at The Dell RV Resort some months ago, we were told that we would have access to all the offerings of folks who stay at the Hidden Mountain Resort; including the swimming pool. So, breakfast brunches, dinners, country store, etc.

Anyway, glad to read that someone has been there so that should we decide to take a trip to the Smokies, we know what to expect.

Thanks!

ROb

I am also going to the Smoky Mountains for spring break. Years ago I stayed on the North Carolina side at Happy Holidays and loved it, I have stayed in Sevierville. This time I am opting for Up the Creek. They have large sites but not bathrooms. You must be self contained. No pool but it is not summer. Sites can have a hearth fireplace or full outdoor kitchen. It is small but looks nice and is very pet friendly they claim. If you are staying in Smoky Mountain National Park, check length restrictions.

I would suggest a helicopter ride. Take the 25 minute one, it is beautiful. You see all of Wears Vally and the mountains. I cannot remember the name of the place but it was before Sevierville and the copters were yellow. After we viewed the mountains and all, the pilot dropped the copter down so we could really feel what 110 miles an hour feels like. Obergatlinburg is another option. You can take the tram up the hilside and go on the tobaggan slides. They fly. You control your own speed with the brake lever. The boys should like that. They have a web site. Biltmore Castle in Ashville, NC is about an hour and a quarter away. I took my boys years ago when they were 8 and 13. I thought they would hate it but they thought it was great. It is an amazing thing to tour. On the Carolina side, on 441 is a place where you can pan for rubies. Check the internet concerning the "Quiet side of the Smokys" or Maggie Vally NC or Cherokee. Of course, Cades Cove and all the waterfalls are worth seeing. Don't miss hiking to the waterfalls. They are listed in the park map. Fly fishing in the park is also fun.

Hope this helps.