Sign in to follow this  
GenericET

Toad Honda Element

Hello Gang,

I recently bought a Blue Ox towing system for my Class C and my Element. I installed the base plate myself. I am very happy with how this part of the project turned out. The instructions were 'good enough' and the base plate fit just like it was supposed to. I have yet to try towing but I am optimistic that it will work well.

Through all of my research, I know about the procedure to tow the Element. I know I am going to have to leave some room when I turn. What I am not sure about is braking. I was not planning on adding a braking system for the toad.

So my question is; Do I really need a braking system? Is it safe to tow without one?

Thanx,

Eric

Eric,

Particularly with a relatively heavy toad (3,400+ pounds) compared with motorohome, you NEED a supplemental braking system.

And, it will be required by law in many states.

Eric, Brett is correct about both weight and the Law. If your state requires a supplemental braking system and you are involved in an accident without one your Insurance might refuse to cover any claims. Also if you are in an accident and it was not your fault and you did not have the required supplemental braking system you may be considered at fault. Reason being that if you were not in compliance you should not have been on the road.

Something to think about.

By the way Eric, Welcome to the Forum.