Sign in to follow this  
davidls911

Wanted: Travel Information North Half Of New Mexico

Question

May of 2012 we want to travel from central IL., to Albuquerque, NM.

We hope to visit Las Vegas, NM, Santa Fe, and Los Alamos.

I would like information and how are the roads for a RV thru those mountains?

We will be driving a 36 ft. diesel pusher. My wife does not like sharp turns with steep declines, etc.

Any information would be appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the Forum. Traveling on I-40 out of Amarillo to Albuquerque has a few sweeping curves and a few hills, but nothing that should be a problem with the DW. However going up to Los Alamos might be a different story. Los Alamos is up quite a bit and the road has some nice curves and steep inclines. Going from Albuquerque to Santa Fe is OK. There are some nice RV parks in Santa Fe. Check them out on rvparkreview.com.

Guest BillAdams

No Interstate highway will have steep grades (usually 6% or less) or sharp turns. Remember that those great big tractor trailers have to negotiate these highways so being in an RV makes these drive a piece of cake. If you want to make some of the Interstate travels for sightseeing you will do that in your towed and what would be considered steep or sharp takes on a completely different meaning.

The highways are very good. Highway 25 from Las Vegas to Santa Fe is extremely fine. Santa Fe to Los Alamos is OK, just a little slower. The campground at Bandalier is easy with a motorhome, but no hookups. At Los Alamos be sure to visit both museums. It's a good road on up to Taos. Stop and visit some of the pueblos as they are very interesting and educational. In Santa Fe be sure to visit the chapel with the spiral staircase adjacent to the hotel by the oldest church.