dertwo

Propane Line For Gas Grill

Purchased new class A Dutch Star with Factory pickup. Had them install a propane line for gas grill connection from the unit built in tank. My prior unit had such a line, but it was high pressure off tank and used the regulator off the gas grill unit. Used an adapter hose to connect to the grill regulator having a typical 1lb disposable tank connection.

The factory folks said by code they would have to install the line after the system regulator, which means low pressure. Now the grill won't work because (I think) the pressure is too low for the gas grill regulator to function. All my current hoses/connections need the gas grill regulator in place.

Can I figure out how to eliminate the gas grill regulator and connect direct? Anyone know of a solution?

I thought I sent my post, Just forgot the hit the post button.

Anyway, Many of the gas grills are setup with a single stage regulator for use with the 1lb. bottles.

When using the 20lb. tanks or the Coach LP tank as a source can damage this type regulator.

A double stage regulator is required when using the bigger tanks. You may need to replace the small regulator at the grill that controls the flame.

You will need the proper Hoses / Adapters to make the connection.

Weber Grills and MR. Heater have some good web information.

Hope this helps ! Rich..

My last RV had what they called a "test" outlet after the regulator. What I did was remove the regulator from the grill and installed a quick connect. I then used a 6' line between the grill and the propane outlet..it worked fine..

On our new coach I am going to have to install an outlet with a quick disconnect to use our grill.

Working on the same situation only the Allegro already had the low pressure quick connect and an existing grill. Grill looked like it needed to go dumpster diving, so I helped it. Then discovered the already regulated low pressure will not "power" the bottle type grills.

Solution, I have been told, is to change out the grill regulator for a low pressure one made for that application. Apparently this can be done provided the grill has a threaded connection between the regulator and burner.

Planning to acquire a new grill and set it up in the next few days. I'll post what I discover in the process.

Have not made the grill decision yet, but thought I would share what I have found.

Camco's 5500 grill comes set up to use the RV low pressure and has adapter hose w regulator to run it using 1lb and a different adapter for 20lb cylinder. Camco's 5100 grill comes set up for 1lb tanks but you can change the regulator out for a valve, part # 57274, that will allow it to run off the RV low pressure.

Talked to Weber customer service and they said you could run their Q series on the 1lb or 20lb tanks, but they do not offer a kit to use RV low pressure.

One option if the grill location is close to the tank is a Mr. Heater Stay A While or Stay Flow which both have a high pressure (throw away tank) fitting that you can run a hose from to the grill. The Stay A While also has a port to hook up a portable tank when the coach is parked longer than the fixed tank supply will last.

I have considered running high pressure back to the Grill but my overly cautious nature won't let me do it. Tank pressure fluctuates with the temperature; per the chart I found online 100F = 172psi and 130F = 257psi (think August on blacktop with no breeze), so i figure the least amount of high pressure line the better.

OK. I believe I have the answer(s).

Should have offered this with my first reply.The best answer is find and consult with a propane professional who is qualified to repair/replace propane pieces and parts. The reason for this is the potential pressures involved from a propane tank of any size.

Now, the rest is as I understand it, which is another reson to consult with the pro. You need to know two things: What pressure does your applicance (grill, stove, etc) need to operate properly? and what pressure is the supply you intend to use?

In our case, the coach's fixed-tank regulator is the standard that delivers 11" WC to the coach appliances including the original grill quick coupler. I called the mfg of the chosen grill and found that the burner needs 11" WC to operate, so I have the right pressure without using the regulator that came on the grill. In the case of this grill, the regulator is separate from the burner valve, so all I need to do is remove the regulator on the grill and connect the coach low pressure to the grill burner valve.

If the grill you have has a regulator/burner control assembly, you will need to replace it with a burner control only that has the same connection to the burner.

Apparently most coach systems are going to reduce the pressure to 11" WC, but not all grills are going to operate on that pressure. So, if you are starting from scratch, confirm your coach low pressure and then find a grill to match that the regulator can be removed or regulator/control valve can be replaced with control valve only. Or buy a grill already set up for your connection.

Having said all that, I reiterate that the best answer is find a good professional propane supplier/installer that can guide you safely to your grilling adventures.

I can almost hear the steaks.