Sign in to follow this  
Mtlavery

Can You Tow A 1999 Rav 4

Does anyone know if you can tow a 1999 Rav4 with automatic transmission?

Cannot seem to find any information about it on the Internet.

Thanks,

Mike...

F6166S

Perhaps someone towing one will reply, but just in case, I'll toss in my thoughts.

The manuafacturer is the best source if you have a particular vehicle in mind as you do. If you already own it and have a manual, check there first. If no manual in hand, you may be able to view one online from Toyota. If the manual does not address recreational towing (aka flat towing, four wheel down towing) then a good dealer could probably help. Toyota is known for good customer service, so you may be able to call them direct.

There is a company, Remco, that offers towing equipment and they have a online applciation guide. Just Google Remco.

Even if you find info on a non-Toyota web site, would not be a bad idea ot confirm the information with Toyota, because some vehicles that can be towed have very specific instructions.

My thoughts. Hope they help.

According to the dingy towing guide:

The manual-transmission-equipped Toyota RAV4

(2,723–2,844 pounds) can be towed four wheels down.

I had looked into towing one a while back and the automatic is not towable 4-down, so I got a Honda CR-V.

My philosophy is similar to that of Brianhopper. I read all over the various forums posts like, "I've towed my xxxx for 2,000 miles without any problems." That's fine, but how do you know you don't have any problems? How do you know the transmission's not going to fail in the future? IMHO, the only true failsafe way to get a vehicle that will not have a problem and will be backed by the manufacturer if you have a problem and have been towing it, is if it spells out in the owner's manual. The manual should state that it's okay to tow it, and list the steps you must take prior to towing to insure it will not be damaged.

Like OkieDave, I got a CR-V.