Sign in to follow this  
robert18324

Towing Keyless Ignition Dingy

Not familiar with the keyless ignition was wondering if vehicles equipped with it are towable as is a vehicle with a key ignition where the steering can be unlocked. If not what has to be done to make such vehicle towable on all fours. Thanks

You ALWAYS have to consult the manufacturer's handbook. Of course it depends on the vehicle and whether it is towable or not.

If it is towable 4 down the book will have procedures to use.

Your question is really too general to get a good answer. What vehicle do you have in mind? Have you checked the "Dingy guides" under the quick links at the top of the home page?

I am thinking of Nissans or any other vehicle which are towable with manual shift per MH dingy guide. Some comes with keyless ignition option and not being familiar with these type of ignition was wondering if you can unlock the steering for towing as the key ignition. I might be wrong but doubt this would be mention in the vehicle manual, plus you need the manual to "ALWAYS" consult which I don't have at this time. Was just looking to see if someone out there has vehicle with this option and if they are able to tow it on all 4's or not. By the way nothing mention about what I ask about in the links you suggested.

Many (most) vehicles with Keyless Ign (i.e. an electronic fob for starting rather than a real Key) no longer have steering wheel interlocks.

phespe

I know some of the Fords with keyless ingnition have specific instructions on the button pressing, but I think it has more to do with shifting an automatic into nuetral as opposed to unlocking steering wheel.

Nissan, Ford and Jeep are three that I am aware of who post all the manuals and revisions online. Link to Nissan manuals below. One would think that if the manual addresses flat towing, but does not mention the ignition, then no special ignition procedure is needed.

http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/manuals-and-guides.html