rmjm1946

Compass for towed vehicle

I don't have a GPS in my towed vehicle (2008 Pontiac G6) and want to buy a basic compass. Most compasses that I've come across either don't work due to all the electronics or are a pain to calibrate and keep calibrated.

Any ideas ?

Canton, Mi.

Yes, a magnetic compass must be "swung" to insure any accuracy at all when installed in a metal or metal frame vehicle.

BUT, once swung, it should remain accurate as long as it is in that location and no heavy ferrous metal or magnet is placed near it. I just did this in our motorhome after re-covering the dash which required that I remove the compass.

Find a parking lot big enough and flat enough that you can easily drive in a circle.

Park facing due north. Put objects (I just use my leveling boards) next to driver's side front and rear tires to serve as markers. Drive around so that you face south/roughly south using the locator objects as a guide. If the compass is perfectly adjusted, it will now show you headed at 180 degrees. If it is not, use the N-S compensating screw to TAKE AWAY 1/2 OF THE ERROR. So, if, instead of showing 180 degrees, it shows 170 degrees, adjust to 175 degrees. Move coach and locator objects a little to bring compass to 180 degrees. Drive around using the locator objects and insure you are headed at 0 degrees. If not, again take away 1/2 the error.

Repeat with E-W headings.

This will not get you close enough for ocean navigation, but will work fine for how we use a compass.

Brett Wolfe

It aint none of my business but I suggest this.

I found Tom Tom GPS units on sale a ''wally world'' for ninety nine dollars. I bought one and I would not

be without it. A compass is fine and very handy item but the GPS unit will take you back to your campsight, in

the rain, in the dark and on an un-fimular road when you should have skipped that last beer or mixed drink

. They are well worth the money and I would not leave home or a campsight without mine....

Seajay the sailor man.

If you use this advise you will have to pay me ten cents and I will collect the next time I see you...