Sign in to follow this  
danhester

Anyone Towing 2011 Wrangler Sport

I am new to towing and have received conflicting suggestions on procedures.

Already have blue ox bar and baseplates. Some tell me that battery has to be disconnected and some say no, some say key has to be turned on others say no. Also i would appreciated input on breaking systems and light systems.

Thanks,

Dan.

What does the Jeep owners manual say about towing?

You will need a braking system, there are many on the market, I'm using a Roadmaster Brake Pro that I've used for years.

I prefer to have the lights wired with extra sockets, that way I don't tap into the vehicles wiring.

You do not need to disconnect the battery or leave the key on. The steering wheel does not lock. You prep the transfer case, hook the car up to the coach, remove the key and tow. The owner's manual on the 2011 and early 2012 Wrangler was incorrect about the battery.

Dan...

Thanks for asking the question. I'm also in the process of towing my 2011 Wrangler. I appreciated the one answer you got regarding why the key needs to be on. I can't figure out the logic, but as mentioned the owners manual is clear and Auburn Jeep says it has to be on. They can't tell my why, they just say it has to be on.

Have you figured out your brake assist yet? Our used motorhome came with a "Brake Buddy" with lots of attachments and several pages of instructions on how to hook it up and trouble shoot. It needs the jeeps battery, so that's been my first challenge. In the process, I've talked to several RV'ers and have gotten different answers from most. I know in California, and several other states, brake assist systems are not required for our jeep. In Canada, and probably some states, they are required. I've come to the conclusion they are probably a good idea, but not a requirement. What have you decided to do? I'm also using a Blue Ox system.

Bill