Sign in to follow this  
Mtlavery

Electric Tow Hitch Any Good?

Hi All,

I just read the website for the electric tow hitch and was wondering if it is worth the money and does it perform as advertised.

We would be towing a RaV 4 or similiar.

Thanks,

Mike...

This was posted on this forum several months ago. Several concerns with this device. First ... since most vehicles would weigh at least 3000 lbs, that would mean that somewhere close to 1500 lbs or more would be supported by the motorhomes receiver. This would exceed the allowable hitch weight of nearly all motorhome receivers. Second ... that kind of weight that far back on the motorhome would likely reduce the weight on the front wheels making the front end very light. This could seriously affect the steering/handling. If you are considering one of these things, I would contact the company and ask a lot of questions about how/if these problems have been addressed.

Jack

Thanks, Mike.

Yes, that will place quite a lot of weight (weight of front of tow) on the motorhome hitch. And the more the overhang (distance from rear axle to hitch) the more weight it will place on the rear axle and remove from the front axle.

You will need to verify that your hitch AND CHASSIS are designed for that tongue weight.

You will also need to verify that axle weights are OK with the added weight (well more than actual tongue weight) to the rear axle and verify that the front axle has not been unloaded too much.

Unless you have substantial reserve capacity on the rear axle, are near GAWR on the front axle and have several thousand pounds of tongue weight capacity, I would be very leery.