Sign in to follow this  
alisasings

Black Water Chemicals

What is your favorite product for breaking down waste and deodorizing the black water tank?

The people we bought the rig from told us all the tanks were empty...... not!!!

When we got around to checking the water system and flushed the toilet, you can see down into the tank and there's a big mountain of dried nasty-ness in there. Since water hit it, oh my goodness!!! :wacko:

Went to the store to find something and there seems to be several choices. I've also seen that people use yeast and peroxide. We need something that's going to work good.

Guest BillAdams

WATER! That is the only necessary ingredient. If you have a poop cone you are going to need to add water and wait. You might want to add a lot of water and drive around but water it is.

I helped a friend with a similar situation where a cone had formed directly below the toilet. I used a water jet from Home Depot (or similar) and blasted it to pieces. From there on, she just let the tank fill until it was time to dump and dumped. You just need water. Plenty of water.

I agree with Bill. Water is all we use as well.

Your goal is not to make black or gray tanks smell "good"-- impossible goal. Your goal is to keep the tank smells out of the coach. If all parts of your black and gray systems are in good condition, this should not be an issue. I guess some like the heavy perfume smell of some of the chemicals-- we don't.

And it is NOT a septic tank. You have no interest in breaking down what goes in there, you will dump it long before chemicals or bacteria break it down ( I hope).

As far as your current solids issue, start with a garden hose and nozzle. If that doesn't break it up enough to dump (I suspect it will), you may, this one time. need to use Rid X or other product to break up the solids. Another trick is to fill the tank 1/4 way with water and flush 20 pounds of ice cubes down the toilet right before you go for a drive. The action of the ice often breaks up solids.

You've gotten good advice, and I agree. When we are getting ready for a trip, I put one capful of Calgon (with a couple of gallons of water) in the black tank. Calgon is a water softner and helps when dumping the black tank. If you have an odor problem inside, you might want to put a sewer cyclone on the roof over the vent...some Wal Marts carry them.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=sewer+cyclone&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1