Winnebago says not to use more than a 4" drop receiver but Blue Ox says to be as close to level as possible and this requires a 6" drop to get within 3-4 inches of level. I do have a 6" drop but now wonder if I should use a 4" instead and be out of level by 5-6". Anyone have any thoughts?

The lower the drop receiver the more potential twist action is exerted to the hitch mounting on the motorhome. A 5,000# vehicle towed with a 5,000# rated hitch and a 4" drop receiver may be the design limit.

A 3,500# vehicle towed with the same 5,000# rated hitch and a 6" drop receiver may be OK.

I have a 36' motorhome with over 13 feet of overhang behind the rear wheels and I need a 8" drop receiver to meet the tow bar specification. If I drive through a low dip going into a gas station the receiver drags on the road.

To correct the problem I eliminated the drop receiver completely and remounted my trailer hitch with a 6 degree wedge between it and the motorhome frame and I now have a straight line from the hitch to the tow bar mounts on my 3,000# Subaru and it works perfect with my NSA 8,000# ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with the integrated Surge Brake System.

Dwight

I would mount an additional receiver under the original one and also mount castors on or near so that the receiver doesn't hit the ground. The more in line height wise the better. Angle mounting the receiver does not change the force that is present. It will work but the moving parts will wear somewhat faster. Its a leverage thing.