Sign in to follow this  
lp5151

Awning retracts when generator starts

I have an electric awning with wind sensor. When the awning is extended and I happen to start the generator, the awning retracts. This is a real suprise, especially when it's raining. The system seems to be wired wrong! But I'm not a wire detective.

It makes no sense to have an awning retract just because you start up the generator. Does anyone know why this may happen or where I might look for help besides a dealer? I do not have an on/off switch for the awning, so I can't shut it off when it's extended.

Welcome to the forum lp5151.

I can only guess about what your problem may be. When we start our generator we have a 12V supply that is momentarily interrupted. I know that because our XM radio receiver shuts off and won't come back on until we turn it on again. I don't know what supply that is, the XM was installed by an auto shop and I think they just picked a wire and used it! For us it is a minor irritation. The awning I understand would be a more irritating problem. It could be that the awning senses a momentary interruption in electrical supply and is programmed to retract when that happens. There might be a way to wire the awning to a non-interrupted electrical supply to stop this activity.

You haven't told us what kind of motor home and awning you have. Doing so may help you get linked up with someone who has had the same problem. Is your awning operated (extend/retract) on 110V or 12V? Are the control circuits 110V or 12V? The more information we have, the better answers you will get.