Sign in to follow this  
haroldhansen

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Headlights

My MH needs new headlight/signal assemblies as they have faded and the "magic" restoration products don't seem to work as advertized.

It appears that the assemblies may be those that were used in the 2000 Ford Explorer but I can't find out if this is correct.

Does anyone know how to verify this or has figured this out? I tried calling the new Monaco but they were not helpful.

If you have not tried the 3M headlight restoration kit (and you have a drill and a couple of hours) you might want to give it a try. I did the lights on my 8 year old van and while they don't have the crystal appearance of the new lights, it took all of the haze and yellow away and they look really, really good.

I am hoping to attach the before and after pics.

Before

After

This is not a "cleaner". The 3M kit has you sand the lens with 500 grit and then 800. This is followed by a 3000 wet polishing wheel and then rubbing compound.

I meant to post this link to the how-to video.

3 M has one of the finest kits out there. When you run out of the buffing compound you can use Alcoa aluminum polish, works perfect.

I was completely blown away with the results when I did it. I never believed it would work but at $300 a piece to replace the headlight fixtures I thought it would at least be worth a shot. I watched the video and laughed....yeah, right, that's what it's going to look like with me behind the drill. I think the very first process is the most important and I had to buy to kits to do both headlights as there just wasn't enough sandpaper to do a good first sanding on the second fixture. You have to get rid of everything that looks different during the first sanding. No gloss, just a perfect, evenly sanded, finish with no apparent blemishes (scary at this point as you are certain you have ruined your lights). The next steps is a bit more subtle but noticeable different. The wet sand begins to make you believe you could be headed in the right direction and the rubbing compound results will make you all warm and fuzzy about all the work you put into the previous steps.

The lens will still continue to degrade with time but I am hopeful that once or twice a year I will be able to either just use the rubbing compound or maybe the 3000 grit wet sand and the compound as I these pieces are still in excellent shape. Some places say that you should now "seal" the lens with another restoration product but I am going to hang in there and see what happens. I did the restoration in March and today it looks just like it did then (2 months later at this point).

I found a replacement light for my 2000 Monaco Windsor at Pepboys for $37.00 ( for 92-96 ford bronco )= skew no 20-19356 / Left light from drivers seat light bulb came with it.

I replaced my headlights/turn signal last year from a company extreme lighting out of California. Free shipping cost $180.00 for both headlights and turn signals.

Mike