jamiesjoss

Starting Engine On 1997 Roadtrek 190

I recently purchased the Roadtrek 190 and shortly after purchase when I went to turn on the engine, it would not turn over and emitted several fast clicks. Thought it was the battery, but no, battery tested out fine. When jump-started it immediately sprang to life. Is it possible the engine battery is connected to the house battery? and maybe draining it? I am a total novice and looking for any advice.

Thanks.

Jamiesjoss,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not sure I understand. The chassis battery tested fine, but would not start the engine. But, jump-starting to the same (fully charged) battery did start it?

Or, did you connect the jump-start battery to another place. If so, sounds like you need to start by cleaning battery terminals and connection at starter as well as the ground to engine block and chassis.

Hi, I jumped from another vehicle to the chassis battery and since it started immediately I am assuming all connections are clean.

I started the house generator. Why did this not charge my chassis battery??

It is common on many RV's for the converter, charger or inverter/charger to only charge the house battery. Check with Roadtrek to find out if yours is wired to charge both battery banks from the converter, charger or inverter/charger.

There are several good stand along chargers and also, battery combiners that will allow your charging system to charge the chassis battery as well, if yours is not already set up that way.