Sign in to follow this  
kokofriend

Diesel Generator Problem

Got a Generac Guardian diesel generator. It has 2 belts in it. Using it on the road and the gen started squealing and the surge protector shut down the A/C. Gave up and drove home hot! Made arragements for service, but then have run it 2x for 1 1/2 hours with no problem and the A/C ran just fine! May put off the service until back from 2 short trips. Any suggestions?

Barb

Barb,

The only one that comes to mind after reading your post is to slowly load the generator and not have both AC's turned on at the same time when the generator is started. This puts a very heavy load on the generator, in turn the belts will SLIP and heat up.

Think that you might get your trips in if you watch the load placed on the generator.

Then when you get home and some time have the belts replaced.

The other problem the high current load causes, is it can damage the contacts on the load relay when it engages. This adds another repair and expense.

Rich.

I am betting on both the A/C's coming on at the same time. I was on 50 amp and had been using both. Bet I did not shut one OFF!! Usually I only run the front air when driving. Will get the belts changed! Hope not the other problem! Thanks Rich