MONTIE

Rubber roof cleaning

Is there some secret solution that will get the black and grime off the rubber roof? I am a contractor and we use rubber roofs all the time, but we never clean them. I talked to my roofer and he did not know what to suggest that would not harm the body of the coach. As for caulk, we use MP-1 and I am sure that will reseal all the joints, right.

There are several materials that are all referred to as "rubber roofs": EDPM, TPO and Brite-tex are three common ones.

Your safest bet is to determine what material you have and call its manufacturer for their current recommendation.

Most recommend a non-petroleum-based soap such as Murphy's Oil Soap.

Brett Wolfe

Best thing to use is Murphy's Oil soap and for heavy stains use either white wall cleaner or Clorox Cleanup Spray. Works Great.

My trailer had an EDPM roof by Dicor. For years Dicor recommended Dawn Dishwashing Soap so that is what I did. Now they have a roof cleaner. Don't scrub too hard or it could hurt the roof. No bleaches!! Better to leave stains on rather than scrub too hard. Doing nothing is better than harsh soaps.

When done you can coat with 303- Aerospace Protectant. No petroleum additives in this product. Also good for all rubber including tires.

Guest Wayne77590

Do not use any product that has citrus in it unless you rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse. Then rinse.

Birds tend to think that the citrus smell means there is fruit under that soft membrane and will peck it to death trying to get to "the fruit."

We use Quick n Brite to clean the rubber roof as well as the exterior of the RV. We bought our Quick n Brite at a rally years ago and have been using it since. It works better than our previous products in every area of the RV we have tested it on. We joke with our friends we should be representatives because we love our Quick n Brite so much. Easiest thing we have found to clean the roof and exterior is to dilute the Quick n Brite in a bug sprayer and spray down the motorhome then come back with a pole brush and the remaining solution to scrub the exterior down. Giving it a few extra minutes to sit really helps get all the bugs and black streaks off with less scrubbing. We do the same thing on the roof. Spray it down then come back and brush it in, then rinse with a garden hose. It does not dry out or crack the rubber roof. Been satisfied with the product since our first time trying it.