Edwin

Motorhome Tire Age When Buying

I'm getting ready to buy 6 new tires (235/80R 22.5 XRV) for my Class A motorhome. What is the maximum age of the tire I should accept? I know every tire has a manufacturing date listed on the sidewall.

Has anyone had luck preemptively contacting dealers, offering to wait until it's possible to get fresh tires? When I read more articles in the paper like this, rolling the dice on DOT dates is no longer an option.

I know this is like asking how long is a string but under normal wear, how long and how many miles, as a rule of thumb, should we get on 255/80R22.5 MICHELIN on a diesel pusher with proper care?

I know this is like asking how long is a string but under normal wear, how long and how many miles, as a rule of thumb, should we get on 255/80R22.5 MICHELIN on a diesel pusher with proper care?

It is very rare for that size/brand to get worn out (i.e. wear out tread) unless there are severe alignment issues.

Age before replacement is quite dependent on how they are treated. Michelin's recommendation in writing is beginning with the 5th year, to have them inspected by a tire professional and replace them at 10 years.

Things that will add to their long life:

Don't overload/underinflate.

Keep the sun off them with tire covers if stored outdoors (white is best, as it is cooler than black).

DRIVE THEM-- Driving allows the emoluments in the tire to migrate to the surface (they evaporate) where they can protect the tire.

My Michelins (7 years old) have 50,000 miles on them, no cracks in the sidewall and roughly 50% tread. They get the care mentioned above.