Sign in to follow this  
dinksy

1987 Chevy Motorhome Electrical Question

Hi,

My dad just died & I now have a 1987 Chevy motorhome that my dad always drove & parked @ camp grounds for me 2 use.

I tried to park it in driveway for kids to campout in. I couldn't get power to it. Is there a switch i have 2 hit so the alternator will power the aux. battery?

Please help. my dad just died & I'm trying to not let my kids notice & keep things the way they always been.

Welcome.

The coaches I have had have a master switch that has to be on for the lights and other 12 volt stuff to work. Its usually in a central location, maybe near the main door or if there is a panel in the kitchen area. It may just be labeled "12V" or "Disconnect". There could also be a battery disconnect at the coach battery, which may be seperate from the chassis battery.

Some coaches also power the 12 volt lights, etc anytime the 120 volt power cord is plugged into your home power or campground power.

If you have manuals, they might help. If not, post the brand and model of motor home (or any info you know) and someone here may have specific knowledge or help find more info.

BH

dinksy,

Welcome to the Forum.

So very sorry for the loss of your father. I'm sure he would be proud of you for trying to carry on one of his traditions.

A 1987 coach most likely has a Converter. A converter turns 120volt ac into 12 volt dc. My first coach had it under one of the twin beds. Do you have power to the TV, Microwave or roof AC when plugged into shore power?

Do you have a switch labeled "Battery Disconnect"? They sometime have it located near the step well by the entrance. Do you get power to the TV, etc. when you have the Gen Set on or?

Have you checked your house batteries to see if they are receiving a charge when the engine is running?

Have you checked to see if any or all of your batteries are OK?

Sorry for all the questions but you have to start somewhere.

Again sorry for your loss.

Herman