rhaag@nwtec.com

Help With Your AutoPark Questions Or Problems

We would like everyone on the FMCA forum to know that help is available should you encounter problems with the AutoPark system on your Chev or Workhorse chassied motorhome.

The AutoPark Library is set up with the DIYer's in mind. If you are OK with some straightforward wrenching, and have the usual wrenches and common tools, we can lead you step by step thru most anything that might go wrong with your parking brake system. Over the years, we've managed to figure out tests and techniques that pretty much take the black magic out of the electronics and hydraulics, so that should not be a roadblock to dealing with your AutoPark issues.

It is however, critical that we carefully identify you and your coach. Explanation: As regards to who YOU are, it is a real problem for us if you contact us under the forum name HOTSHOT 99 the first time we hear from you; your real name Murray Doe, the second time; and then use your girlfriend's e-mail address the third time. Consistency is the key thing here. We HAVE TO HAVE your e-mail address to make this work.

Then, we need to know (minimally) the year model of your coach. There are so many versions and morphs of the AutoPark system over the years, that often we may have to come back to you with several questions before we know exactly which version we're talking about.

With that information, you can most easily e-mail me at oldusedbear@oemys-performance.com

So we'll look forward to hearing from any of you with AutoPark problems or questions.

oub - - aka Roger - - at the AutoPark Library

Again I want to thank Roger for the many he has helped with AutoPark problems and also explain why (as unusual as it sounds) contacting him is preferred over trying to post symptoms and hope for correct answers here.

Because there are so many variations in the AutoPark system, both by year models and even by different GVWR packages in the same year model, what works for one may not be relevant for the very next person with a problem. This has lead to as much confusion as clarity on other forums where Roger has volunteered his help.

That is why Roger went to the trouble to set up the special e-mail specifically so he could continue to volunteer his time and considerable diagnostic skills to helping others.

So, please forgive the lack of symptom/diagnostics/repairs posted here.

Brett Wolfe

I would like to voice my support for Roger and his library and invaluable help. I have contacted him in the past about possible problems and received a wealth of information about my system. His information has assisted me in maintaining my system to the point that I have had NO problems at all so far. The Autopark system seems to be a very reliable system if maintained properly. I would encourage anyone with problems or simply in need of information to contact Roger.

As a new member I have not had the full priviledge of your support but would like to comment on the AutoPark system on the Workhorse chassis. So please forgive me if this has been fully covered before.

I have a 1997 Alllegro and on two ocasions the autopark light would stay on but the system would still worked. The first was an easy repair by replacing the sensor. (According to the serviceman, it was common for oil to seep into the sensor and cause a false reading.) The second time the hydraulic cylinder was failing. However, I was informed that Workhorse no longer provides parts and that I would need to use the manual park to park the unit. I had replaced the transmission a couple of years before with a Jasper remanufactored unit. Much to my serviceman's surprise, it had a park inside the transmission. My serviceman assured me that as long as I make sure the unit is fully stopped before shifting into park, the transmission will hold. I still use the manual park as a safety but should I seek to replace the failed unit?

Maurice and Janet - - The "rule of thumb" is that for motorhomes of GREATER THAN 16000 lbs GVWR, that a locking pawl in the transmission is not strong enough to hold under all circumstances. The only general exception to this is some of the newer Workhorse chassis that have the Allison transmission.

If you would like to explore the possibility of reviving your AutoPark system, I'd be glad to discuss it with you. You can contact me at

oldusedbear@oemys-performance.com

I need help because my Auto Park lock no longer holds my motor home when I put it in park.

I have a 454 Chevy gas engine on a Workhorse chassis. The motor home is a 1998 Holiday Rambler Vacationer: 32 feet.

I also notice that the yellow pull handle on the dash does not seem to function as a locking brake either.

As a result, my wife is expert at getting a wedge placed in front or behind the wheel to keep the rig from rolling.

I talked with a truck mechanic and he told me the transmission most likely will have to pulled because the tag on the transmission has broken off and probably is lying at the bottom of the pan (held by a magnet). He said this was a big job and is not an "emergency" but definitely should be fixed. Short-term, he said, I should have the transmission pan cleans and new transmission oil put in there.

Any guidance would be VERY helpful since the rig definitely is not safe to operate in this condition.

We have made email contact with Robert. It should be noted however, that the mechanic is probably in serious error about the need to pull the tranny. AutoPark equipped chassis almost NEVER have a pawl in the transmission unless the tranny has been replaced somewhere along the line. There are a few (much older) units out there that were at, or less than 16000 lbs GVWR that had both a pawl and AutoPark - - This 98 model is quite certainly not one of them.

We know very few of the facts at this point, but this is often how AutoPark horror stories begin. Pulling the tranny is absolutely NOT the way to go from what we know of this particular situation. We'll be looking at the AutoPark issues with Robert if he so chooses.

oldusedbear

I have a electrical problem with my autopark on a 1994 Fleetwood Bounder. It will blow the fuse on the ecm/ign when the key is turned on. The engine will start in neutral and will blow the fuse when started in park. Also, jacks will not work and autopark light will not come on. Not sure if it is a problem with the autopark or something else.

Thanks

Kberg

Kberg,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

As posted above in this thread, suggest you contact Roger (oldusedbear) with your problem. Be sure to include the year and model and GVWR of the chassis.

Brett

I have a 1997 Georgia Boy Motorhome, Chevrolet P 30 Chassis, I have an Auto Park light that comes on and remains on all the time while the unit is running. I have not yet had any braking problems. There may be a slight leak around the reservoir at the back of the transmission. When I checked the reservoir it appeared to be full. I drove 160 miles, of course aware that there might be problems, but did not have any.

Everything functioned properly as far as I could tell, but the light did not go out.

Am I in danger, just before greater problems or what do you suggest I do next.

Thanks, George Bell

George,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

As suggested in the first post in this thread, contacting Roger will get you the most expert (also free) advice on this subject. While others may be able to assist, I know that Roger has the documentation for the variations in the AutoPark system through the years and can help.

Please make sure when you contact him to let him know all the details which he asks for in his post above.

Brett