jdmosk

Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Question

We are planning to go from the Grand Canyon to Yellowstone via Hoover Dam, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and then up to Yellowstone.

We are driving a 39' gas Canyon Star and pulling a Honda FIT. Are there any routes that we should avoid on this trip? We have used google maps and mapquest

to plot routes. We are new to mountain driving and would like to take the least hazardous routes which are not necessarily the ones shown by the above.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated. We will be leaving from Berlin, MD in about 10 days and making our way to the Grand Canyon via Route 50, I66, I80, and I40.

JerryM

4 answers to this question

The "Via" part is important. Since the Hoover Dam is not "on the way" to any of your destinations, adding that option into your travels changes a lot. Hoover Dam adds about 200 miles to the trip but makes the driving pretty much pre-determined. You will drop back down to 40 and take 93 up to Vegas. You can't see a dang thing driving by on the new bridge so you will need to plan a stop here. From there it's up 15N and the appropriate detours to hit Zion and Bryce. You will get back on 15N until you get to Idaho Falls where you will follow US20 into West Yellowstone. You can stay there at Grizzly RV park and explore or you can do some there, do some from Fishing Bridge and some from the RV park up near the N entrance. If you don't mind dry camping there are several parks inside and I would recommend this over any option outside the park. Fishing Bridge is my choice if you need hookups and you can explore the entire park from there but you will need to start early and finish late as there will be a lot of driving.

I would suggest you go via Page (visit the Dam museum) to the North Rim and spend a night there, on to Zion and Bryce Canyon avoiding the road that has the tunnel, and then over to Highway 15.

Bobndorine2,

In reference to your comment: "on to Zion and Bryce Canyon avoiding the road that has the tunnel, and then over to Highway 15", why "avoiding the tunnel" and which road is that?

We are also planning this route, coming down from Yellowstone towards Zion, Bryce and the skywalk at G/Canyon.

Thank you,

Jocelynn and Oscar Power/Gainesville/FL

I have made this trip several times and find the best way from the GC is back on 89N to Page, Zion, Bryce, then west on 20 to I-15N, to SLC,on to Logan on 89 right to Jackson...go North to The Grand Tetons and on to Yellowstone.

However Fishing Bridge is way out of the way and I prefer to dry camp or partial hook-ups in several NFS campgrounds in W Yellowstone. Grizzly is without one of the best campgrounds you will ever stay in but pricey.

jdarling10