Sign in to follow this  
connitaylor

Outer Banks of North Carolina

Question

3 answers to this question

Great place, one of our favorites. We stay at the national campgrounds with no hookups. The bugs are not bad if the wind is blowing. I don't know the condition of the road in the Avon area since the last storm. Ferry from Cedar island to Okracoke is nice and then drive up the island chain. Several campgrounds along the way.

The OBX is a fabulous place. I've vacationed there for 53 years. Be sure to visit Manteo waterfront, Wright Brothers Memorial, NC Aquarium, the lighthouses, Jockey's Ridge. Resturants: Carolina Seafood, Capt. George's, Owens, Kelly's. Low key, lots of fun. Try some fishing.

X2 on what previous posters have said. We have stayed a couple of times at Camp Hatteras. Its a big place with a big price tag, but we enjoyed staying across the street from the beach backed up to the sound. The wind over there was not too bad and much less traffic and kids. The ferry rides are fun and plenty of room for the RV (a question most people ask.) All size of vehicles including tractor-tailers use them. I'm not sure if you need a reservation this time of year, but it would be worth a call to the ferry service. As previously mentioned, you can go from Morehead City / Cedar Island Ferry to Ocracoke then ride north to Manteo as an option. The Cedar Island/Ocracoke ferry is about a 2 1/2 hour ride. Same for Ocracoke to Swanquarter if you choose that route.

While you are in the area, some of the "Inner Banks" as they are calling them now are pretty nice spots to visit too. New Bern and Washington for example. Awesome seafood anywhere in that area too.

Sorry.. i just looked at the post date on this! last summer. So did you go and how'd you like it???

Edited by NCBounder