Sign in to follow this  
jonrjen

4 Down On 1999 Mustang Convertible Manual Transmission?

Currently I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty set up to tow back side of the NRV Pacifica coach. However I am going through my mid-life crisis period and want something a little more fun and different. I am looking at a 1999 Mustang GT with a manual transmission. Both Blue OX and Roadmaster do make base plates to fit the Mustang, however I am having trouble finding out if the manual transmission can be flat towed with out any problems, issues and or limitations placed on it.

My next concern is would there be any additional concerns with towing a convertible behind a motorhome. I do know that if you have a convertible moved on a transport truck it is preferred to have the convertible loaded on the top level of the transport due to wind channeling. But, Have never heard any issues with towing as a Toad with a convertible.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,

Jon

Jon,

Since you are in the mid-life-mode let me suggest that you contact one of your local hot rod shops or really old transmission shops. Ask them if the drive shaft turning with the transmission in the neutral position will be enough for the gears to splash lube the bearings.

Also 1999 mustang with a manual transmission also has, I believe, a mechanical drive speedo. It will rack up the miles. You might also ask if the 99 has mechanical or electronic speedo.

Since the Mustang has a steel drive shaft it you could have a drive shaft disconnect install. Steel D/S are less costly to modify.

Good Luck with the crisis.

I currently tow a 2000 mustang GT convertible with manual transmission behind my motorhome. I have towed this for about 2000 miles with absolutely no problems. I have a Roadmaster tow bracket and use a brake buddy braking system. Put the Transmission in neutral. turn the key on, then off (don't go all the way to removing it) and tow. The odometer on the 2000 is digital and doesn't accumulate towing miles.

Thanks for the replies and best wishes on the ML Crisis. Sad to say, I am old enough that the ML Crisis is more of an excuse rather than saying bored and wanting a new toy.

I started looking at motorcycles but thought I would look a safer route at convertibles when this one showed up. And it keeps resurfacing from time to time, only has 25,000 on it and looks near perfect. I would have to replace the original tires however due to age.

It does have the electronic odometer on it, I will looking into whether the driveshaft does turn to lub the inners of the transmission.

Jon,

Most cars in the nineties and two thousands have steering wheel locks and that is one reason to have your key on. Now this is just my thoughts. Have the steering wheel pulled and the steering wheel lock pin removed.

Have your Mustang and coach wired so that you have a separate circuit for power to your Buddy Brake. This way you wont run down your battery or rack up any mileage on your speed.

SR said that he tows a 2000 with no problems with lubing the trans

Sounds like you found a Gem.

Have your Mustang and coach wired so that you have a separate circuit for power to your Buddy Brake. This way you wont run down your battery or rack up any mileage on your speed.

Herman,

Perhaps I don't understand, but if you power the Buddy Brake only from the coach (rather from the toad battery and a wire from the coach to keep the toad battery charged while towing) what would power the Buddy Brake in case of a break away (toad came loose from the coach)?

Brett, your are correct. I did not explain it clearly. Power connection from the coach to the toads battery. That will keep the toads battry charged for both restart and hopefully never needed, for emergancy stop due to disconnect.